Jump to content

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
IGNORED

Apple discontinues iMac Pro


J7SC_Orion
 Share

Recommended Posts

"Apple has confirmed that the iMac Pro will be discontinued when supplies run out. According to the company, the 27-inch iMac is the preferred option for most professional iMac customers and those who need more power can jump to Apple’s high-end Mac Pro. All of these systems are expected to be upgraded to Arm-based silicon in the near future however.

Apple has quietly added a “while supplies last” label to the iMac Pro product page, and also disabled upgrade options for the computer. MacRumors reached out to Apple, who confirmed that when iMac Pro supplies run out, the computer will indeed be no more"

 

source

 

...until new M1 versions at least, there goes your chance for a really expensive... (insert: cheese grader...monitor stand...)

 

Personally, I liked the design, though I rather build my own Hackintosh version...future M1  versions are going to button that down even more though...

 

spacer.png

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW News Editor
885 286

Imacs are the only apple PCs I kinda like, and only because I've done so many hard drive replacements/upgrades on them that I got used to them. They're really the only desktop apple PCs anyone buys anymore and trendy small stores/business love to use them like they're a fashion statement. 

The picture you included is of a mac pro right? I find it to be ugly to the extreme, partly because when I look at it I can't help but immediately think about how over-engineered and a waste of money that design is; it serves no purpose beyond inflating the cost. 

Edited by UltraMega
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

I would not be surprised if the iMac Pro makes a comeback in the next 2 years or so with Apple silicone in them.

  

...exactly, per above. And what is worse for the Hackintosh crowd is that with M1, there won't be any easy alternate routes like there were with Intel (max) 28c/56t

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW Content Creator
902 150
3 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

  

...exactly, per above. And what is worse for the Hackintosh crowd is that with M1, there won't be any easy alternate routes like there were with Intel (max) 28c/56t

Well, Apple say they're going to support x86 for "a while" so I'm guessing they're going to drop x86 support for MacOS 5 years after the last of their computers gets the Apple silicon.

Edited by Andrew
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Andrew said:

Well, Apple say they're going to support x86 for "a while" so I'm guessing they're going to drop x86 support for MacOS 5 years after the last of their computers gets the Apple silicon.

 

...not sure what Apple means by continuing x86 support "for a while"...hopefully, their need to control everything and lock everything else out won't get the better of them in regard to this. I would love to run MacOS on some of our hardware; instead I am increasingly dabbling with Linux distros as Win 10 is getting really annoying with its product pushes on my desktop, constant attempts at interleaving with their cloud, big data vacuuming...  

 

Also...to be marked under 'rumours', with plenty of salt shaking... - fact though is that Apple has been taking big early positions with new nodes at TSMC (incl. now 5nm) and is also working tightly with TSMC on new display tech. 

 

AppleTSMC.jpg.37c9b79d7f5dfb945c39e89639c5b03e.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW News Editor
885 286

Apple definitely needs to do something with their computer market space, either take it more seriously or just drop it and make cheaper lower power devices. These next few year will be interesting to watch for sure. If I had to guess I'd bet apple will have a little more trouble going full on with their own silicon than they would hope for but will eventually be successful.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW Content Creator
902 150
4 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

 

...not sure what Apple means by continuing x86 support "for a while"...hopefully, their need to control everything and lock everything else out won't get the better of them in regard to this. I would love to run MacOS on some of our hardware; instead I am increasingly dabbling with Linux distros as Win 10 is getting really annoying with its product pushes on my desktop, constant attempts at interleaving with their cloud, big data vacuuming...  

 

Also...to be marked under 'rumours', with plenty of salt shaking... - fact though is that Apple has been taking big early positions with new nodes at TSMC (incl. now 5nm) and is also working tightly with TSMC on new display tech. 

 

AppleTSMC.jpg.37c9b79d7f5dfb945c39e89639c5b03e.jpg

When Apple first announced they were switching to ARM with their own silicon, a lot of people were concerned about their current hardware and whether or not Apple will continue to support it. They were vague about it and they didn't give any sort of timeline for how long they're going to continue to support it. My guess of 5 years after the final computer they sell switches over the ARM is based on how they deal with phone/iPad updates.

 

So this does mean that MacOS will still support x86 through to at least MacOS 17 assuming they're not going to stick to MacOS 11 for another 20 years. This is good for people who still want to do Hackintoshes.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This Website may place and access certain Cookies on your computer. ExtremeHW uses Cookies to improve your experience of using the Website and to improve our range of products and services. ExtremeHW has carefully chosen these Cookies and has taken steps to ensure that your privacy is protected and respected at all times. All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law. For more information please see our Privacy Policy