Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.

The Great Tesla M40 Adventure "Projeckt T3sla"

Been working on the system tonight, got to leak testing. Unfortunately so far it's not holding air pressure. It is a VERY slow leak, but enough to drive me nuts. A few of the G1/4 threads on the rads aren't creating a tight seal with my QDC's or the one slot I had for my thermal probe (Seems like a thread issue). This is very un-settling as I probably have over 30 G1/4 threaded ports to check and I would have to disassemble the case in a way that is most inconvenient .  This thing is taking waaaaay longer than I had planned, but they always do. I hate to do something I frown upon, but I might just fill her with distilled and find the leak to narrow it down. 

Change log 05/12/21:

- Rad array panel completed. 

- Casters added to base

- Loop completed. 

- Leak testing begun. 

*Note the GPU sag is a lot less with the side panels connected. There is nothing preventing them from moving without the side panels connected. I will try to fix this in the future. 

20210507_193712.thumb.jpg.1bbdda35767389e7b93b4762b655d8e6.jpg

20210512_162602.thumb.jpg.da50cdc0ee56435199766bf3437624c6.jpg

20210512_164759.thumb.jpg.819e3cd4e7b4d1dd84b615ae6a2fe6a8.jpg

20210512_182139.thumb.jpg.56ef1a7b47d39b9ecb5ece16cbf27ec2.jpg

20210512_182152.thumb.jpg.9870e2feafde99e91b4d9923d5db1a9f.jpg

Edited by Avacado
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Finally finished mounting all 5 GPU blocks. Just waiting on the racks to arrive. Time to flex some of the hard work.   

Alright, secured the needed MOBO.     https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=X399D8A-2T#Specifications   I have 30 FT of Mayhems clear 10/16, and hav

Interestingly enough, this is my first soft tube build, I started with hardline. I must say my OCD hates it, but my practical side loves having the QDC's.    05/03/21 Change Log:  

Posted Images

Did you hit all the fittings with a spray bottle and soapy water while you had it under air pressure? That's the quickest way (but can be a bit messy) to find the leak outside of filling up the loop.  I don't ever leak test any of my systems on air.  I usually just run the pump on a separate power supply, or jump the 24 pin with only the pump plugged in, spread some paper towels around possible drip locations, and run the loop with distilled.

Edited by tictoc
29 minutes ago, tictoc said:

Did you hit all the fittings with a spray bottle and soapy water while you had it under air pressure? That's the quickest way (but can be a bit messy) to find the leak outside of filling up the loop.  I don't ever leak test any of my systems on air.  I usually just run the pump on a separate power supply, or jump the 24 pin with only the pump plugged in, spread some paper towels around possible drip locations, and run the loop with distilled.

This is exactly what I plan to do. Just didn't want to have to do it. 

I'm guessing you didn't mess with the terminals on the heatkiller blocks, but if you did, that's another possible leak location.  It's easy to pinch the o-rings on those terminals if the o-rings aren't fully seated in the slot.

Hope you get it sorted out, and I'm excited to see that machine up and running.

Looking good @Avacado!

The GPU sag is a bit extreme, I support the idea of making a bracket in the future :classic_laugh:

I always do it like you mentioned @tictoc, separate PSU and let it run for a few hours, stop and run it again with paper towels everywhere.

Never had a leak though, but I'll never power up the system without testing..