Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.

"The Office", an all in one Folding@Home workstation

Premium Platinum

For some time I've been playing with the idea of building a custom rack to house most of my Folding hardware.

After a few of us started working on their Folding workstation projects I figured it was time to pull the trigger and get to work. 

So here it is: the build log for "The Office", an all in one Folding@Home workstation. 

20210311_191519res.thumb.jpg.894218c5de0cd6a8c000a363ad69dbdf.jpg

List of hardware:
Motherboard: Asus WS X299 Sage/10G

Processor: Intel® Core™ i9-10900X

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB

Processor cooling: Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360

Power Supply: Dual PSU, TBD.

Fans: TBD, 200mm fans.

PCI-e extensions: CoolerMaster 300mm

Graphics cards: Gigabyte GTX 1650 Super Windforce OC, MSI GTX 1660ti Gaming X, EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming 

List of parts: 

Aluminium profiles

Custom motherboard tray

Monitor mount

Updates:
1: Building the frame and the motherboard tray

2: 

Edited by Bastiaan_NL
Premium Platinum
Posted (edited)

Update 1: Building the frame and the motherboard tray.

This is the hardware I received, 20x20mm aluminium profiles in two sizes: 100cm and 40cm (39.4" and 15.75") and a few bags of hardware to connect everything.

20210318_173901res.thumb.jpg.bfe7b3b68e93798bb8fa4aa5b4183b95.jpg

This is the basic layout, every profile can be moved besides the 4 top corners.

20210318_200504res.thumb.jpg.333fcd06f3f9a49b6c421ecbcf590941.jpg

I took apart my old CM690 for templates, the first one being the motherboard tray. I used a piece of 2mm sheet metal cut to 25x30cm and drilled/tapped holes for the standoffs. 

20210320_120032res.thumb.jpg.c00f4a0961951708869f21915e2727a9.jpg

The finished motherboard tray and the graphics card mounting profile with threaded holes to secure the cards.

20210320_135818res.thumb.jpg.5497596f299f43d9d74f8024f4b6329f.jpg

Passed the QC :classic_biggrin:

20210320_140012res.thumb.jpg.80b17f2f2b025ee380465085a5370eb3.jpg

The motherboard fits perfectly on the tray, and the tray is attached to the profiles with the same locks and hex bolts as the other profiles.

20210320_150110res.thumb.jpg.f61f742c5e53bb53dbe1087ed661a0a8.jpg

Looks empty, but when I'm done there should be five graphics cards, 2 PSU's, a monitor, keyboard and mouse on this frame. The monitor mount will be on the left, and once the final state has been reached the other standing profile will be cut down to the GPU mounting profile height. 

The tall frame makes it easy to work on, and I'll have some storage room under the frame. 

20210320_174039res.thumb.jpg.e2ffb968331d13e2c3fbd7b8a5a0f48c.jpg

Edited by Bastiaan_NL
Premium Platinum
12 hours ago, Avacado said:

Love it! That sage is making me drool.

Thanks! :)
Yeah, that sage is so pretty! It's twice as heavy as all the other the boards I've ever had, feels like a quality part. 

Administrators
1 hour ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Thanks! :)
Yeah, that sage is so pretty! It's twice as heavy as all the other the boards I've ever had, feels like a quality part. 

I am looking forward to firing up my Sage soon. Just purchased the AIO for testing to fire it all up and make sure everything is hunky dory.

Build is looking great so far bud. I like what you do with the extruded ally ! Do you design any of it on CAD for your cutlist ?

Premium Platinum
2 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

I am looking forward to firing up my Sage soon. Just purchased the AIO for testing to fire it all up and make sure everything is hunky dory.

Build is looking great so far bud. I like what you do with the extruded ally ! Do you design any of it on CAD for your cutlist ?

Thanks E, have fun with the testing!
Those profiles are so easy to work with! And the quality is outstanding, all the cuts are clean and perfectly flat.
I did some drawings but it didn't take long before I decided I needed to have the frame in front of me to visualize and design everything. There are just so many options for the layout, it's not easy to settle for one and go from there. So I took some measurements and just ordered a whole lot of extra profiles, turns out I need more of those 90° mounting brackets but I have enough profiles. I've spent more than 5 hours just looking at the rack, changing a few parts, trying to decide what'll work and what not. I even fell asleep in a chair looking at it :classic_laugh:

Administrators
On 3/21/2021 at 2:02 PM, Bastiaan_NL said:

Thanks E, have fun with the testing!
Those profiles are so easy to work with! And the quality is outstanding, all the cuts are clean and perfectly flat.
I did some drawings but it didn't take long before I decided I needed to have the frame in front of me to visualize and design everything. There are just so many options for the layout, it's not easy to settle for one and go from there. So I took some measurements and just ordered a whole lot of extra profiles, turns out I need more of those 90° mounting brackets but I have enough profiles. I've spent more than 5 hours just looking at the rack, changing a few parts, trying to decide what'll work and what not. I even fell asleep in a chair looking at it :classic_laugh:

Nice. I get what you mean with visualizing a project, though with my experience on Solidworks I find it much easier to design and visualize on the PC and make it come to life haha. 

Premium Platinum
23 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Nice. I get what you mean with visualizing a project, though with my experience on Solidworks I find it much easier to design and visualize on the PC and make it come to life haha. 

I'm sure that with a bit (lot) more experience it would have worked better, and would have saved me some materials. But it's not too bad, and I still have some things to build and I can always add an extra layer with those profiles :classic_biggrin:

On a side note, the system has been running strong for some time. With the 360AIO and folding on 12 threads the CPU stays under 40°C over ambient (57°C max) with fan and pump speed ranging from 50% at 40°C to 100% at 60°C and is at roughly 180kppd, just for testing though. 

Don't mind the mess, it was just for testing.. :classic_rolleyes:

20210321_172345res.thumb.jpg.821ea3794ff673cb0bd8b890e90d1580.jpg

News Editor
7 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

I'm sure that with a bit (lot) more experience it would have worked better, and would have saved me some materials. But it's not too bad, and I still have some things to build and I can always add an extra layer with those profiles :classic_biggrin:

On a side note, the system has been running strong for some time. With the 360AIO and folding on 12 threads the CPU stays under 40°C over ambient (57°C max) with fan and pump speed ranging from 50% at 40°C to 100% at 60°C and is at roughly 180kppd, just for testing though. 

Don't mind the mess, it was just for testing.. :classic_rolleyes:

20210321_172345res.thumb.jpg.821ea3794ff673cb0bd8b890e90d1580.jpg

There is a reason I have so much extra *, because I am always learning and always need some random part. Having extras on hand is never a bad thing. I still consider myself an average builder, even with all I have done. I think what you have made is top rate, don't doubt the creativity. 

Edited by Avacado