Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
IGNORED

Starlink Is Fast - But Don't Expect 200Mbps All the Time

To find out more, we reached out to 10 Starlink users, and asked them about their experiences with the satellite internet service. According to them, Starlink is indeed fast, but speeds can vary wildly throughout the day.

“The only thing consistent with Starlink service is the inconsistent speeds,” said an Idaho-based user named Tabitha, who preferred to keep her last name private. “I ran a speed test first thing this morning and saw 213Mbps down 9.72 up. A little over an hour later, I was at 94Mbps down/18 up. An hour after that I was at 36 down/6.8 up,” she told us in an email.

PCMAG Article Link

I've been considering getting this in my area but for latency reasons, not download speeds.  But, I think rather impressive to achieve these speeds at pretty much the beginning of the push for Starlink.

Edited by GanjaSMK
tags :)

EHW News Editor
875 281
1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Starlink is going exactly the way I said it would a couple of years ago when they promised sub-20ms 1Gbps down/up.

What was your prediction?

It's still early, they're not even selling to the general public yet. Once they have enough satellites to have even coverage, then will be the time to judge.

EHW Content Creator
902 150
3 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

What was your prediction?

It's still early, they're not even selling to the general public yet. Once they have enough satellites to have even coverage, then will be the time to judge.

Between 100-300Mbps down,  10-30Mbps up and 40-60ms on a good day. Around the same speed on a cloudy/rainy day with much higher ping.

Musk and his companies have a long history of promising way more than they can deliver and when they do deliver, they have some technicality that makes correct. The Model S being able to do 0-60 in under 2 seconds which with current road tyre tech is not physically possible. If you read the small print, it can actually get to 60 in under 2 seconds, but it's 5-60 on an extra grippy drag strip.

• Thanks 1

EHW News Editor
875 281
1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Between 100-300Mbps down,  10-30Mbps up and 40-60ms on a good day. Around the same speed on a cloudy/rainy day with much higher ping.

Musk and his companies have a long history of promising way more than they can deliver and when they do deliver, they have some technicality that makes correct. The Model S being able to do 0-60 in under 2 seconds which with current road tyre tech is not physically possible. If you read the small print, it can actually get to 60 in under 2 seconds, but it's 5-60 on an extra grippy drag strip.

You may be right about that, though star link still has a long way to go. The plan is to have 30,000 satellites and so far they're only at about 1200, so they've only setup about 5% of their network so far. I think the speed test numbers aren't bad for only 5% operating capacity. 

As for the Tesla car thing, I think it's just that yes the cars motor can do it but at that level of acceleration the tires just can't stick to any road well enough to get it there unless it's practically purpose built for a tesla speed test.

That said, I'm not really a fan of Musk. He's pretty hot headed, seems like he could get himself into trouble someday.

Edited by UltraMega

EHW News Editor
875 281
8 minutes ago, GanjaSMK said:

Added a few tags I dunno, hope it helps. LOL

I'm selected but I'm hesitant. Have time to reach back out, but also may wait for maturity.  I dunno.  Not a huge fan of local provider but monopolies are what they are!

Seems like the only option as a consumer is to bend over when it comes to any ISP, the only difference is how far. 

Posted (edited)

Yap.  $216 for cable and 100Mbit speeds (Ok ok... theres HBO and Showtime included on some 'silver' package I guess...). 

I'd change everything right this minute but the elderly in the house would be confused beyond dementia.

I'm not surprised AT ALL that TV *still* exists in prior format (cable, digital antennae).  What I'm waiting on is satphones.  Starlink ain't just there for internets... phone wires goin-be-a-thinga-the-past at some point in the near future. 

Edited by GanjaSMK