Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.

Members

That is a bummer on the GPU block.  I have been mostly all Heatkiller for the last little bit, but they never made a Radeon VII block.  I always go with Acetal/copper blocks when possible, since everything I build is more about performance and reliability then looks.  Right now it's a little tough, since it's mostly get what you can get, as soon as you can get something.

Hopefully the RMA goes quick and you get the new block soon.  

Premium Gold
7 minutes ago, tictoc said:

That is a bummer on the GPU block.  I have been mostly all Heatkiller for the last little bit, but they never made a Radeon VII block.  I always go with Acetal/copper blocks when possible, since everything I build is more about performance and reliability then looks.  Right now it's a little tough, since it's mostly get what you can get, as soon as you can get something.

Hopefully the RMA goes quick and you get the new block soon.  

...thanks - RMA or not, I already ordered a block from Phanteks for the 3090 Strix OC (supposed to arrive tomorrow). ...More than one problem w/ EKWB as I will soon show. Nothing worse than having a hard-to-come-by top end $$$ GPU, only to have sloppy but expensive 'peripherals'

Premium Platinum

Sorry to hear that about your GPU block..
I was not planning to buy one for my card, but since I'm still waiting for a Heatkiller block I was looking at a few other options. At least I know EKWB is not on that list anymore.

Not many options left for now, besides waiting and keeping it cool with enough fans :classic_rolleyes:

Premium Gold
1 hour ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Sorry to hear that about your GPU block..
I was not planning to buy one for my card, but since I'm still waiting for a Heatkiller block I was looking at a few other options. At least I know EKWB is not on that list anymore.

Not many options left for now, besides waiting and keeping it cool with enough fans :classic_rolleyes:

I'm picking up the Phanteks block for the Strix later today and I will let you know what I think. Re. the EK backplate (nickel flaking issue and separate from the front block items), RMA got approved....just the running around and plucking a w-cooled system apart over and over again in the course of one week 😒

What make / model is your Ampere GPU ?

Premium Platinum

Indeed, the hassle of taking apart a loop and an expensive GPU in a new system is not fun. Besides that, one would think that after years and years of making waterblocks they would finally know how to do it the right way..

I have a pair of FTW3's, one will remain air cooled. This card was on top of my list next to the Strix, but the latter was not available in the Netherlands (I haven't seen it in stock anywhere). And to be honest, most of my cards have been EVGA and they never let me down. As for waterblock, Watercool confirmed that they will make a block for this card. I recently messaged them and they replied that it would take only a few more weeks, let's hope that's true.

Premium Gold
Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

Indeed, the hassle of taking apart a loop and an expensive GPU in a new system is not fun. Besides that, one would think that after years and years of making waterblocks they would finally know how to do it the right way..

I have a pair of FTW3's, one will remain air cooled. This card was on top of my list next to the Strix, but the latter was not available in the Netherlands (I haven't seen it in stock anywhere). And to be honest, most of my cards have been EVGA and they never let me down. As for waterblock, Watercool confirmed that they will make a block for this card. I recently messaged them and they replied that it would take only a few more weeks, let's hope that's true.

...I used to have 8 top (Classified/KP) EVGA across different generations (still have most of them) but there were some quality issues (PCB) on a few of them. Be that as it may, the FTW3 3090 is a very nice card, just not sure about the power balance recall/re-bios thing I keep on reading about. Still, FTW3 is one of the top cards.

I also love the Strix and oddly enough, here in Canada they were pretty affordable though now, there's little stock of anything. FYI, Caseking has 7 different 3090 models in stock as of today, but not the good stuff like Strix, FTW3 etc. At one point in time, Caseking charged more for a Strix than the KingPin Hybrid 3090 - weird, as Strix OC prices here in Canada were 'reasonable' (air quotes for putting reasonable and 3090 pricing in one sentence)

...as to w-blocks, Watercool / Heatkiller is my fav supplier, but they don't have a Strix block. I did hear good things about the Phanteks G30 Strix block - I guess I'll find out shortly. I do have a Phanteks AM4 cooler already - good stuff, fine quality on the metal etc

Edited by J7SC_Orion
Premium Gold

...had a nice delivery late yesterday 🙂   ...Phanteks G30 Strix block is heavy; about 2.9 lbs just by itself, in part because it has a 6 mm copper coldplate 👍 . Quality seems very good...

I also found a machine shop that could 'mill' the current 'outgoing' block down; if I can figure out how to attach it - it would make a great GDDR6X VRAM cooler for the back

PhantG30GelidPrimoc.jpg.d0d8363b12bda64446dd3f8b2d37bd26.jpg

Premium Platinum

Nice, but that's pretty heavy! 

A C-clamp might work... :classic_laugh:

But I love the idea. There is a backplate cooler for sale which uses rubber bands to secure the block, not sure about the looks though..

Premium Gold

...believe it or not, I actually thought about C-clamps for real (but dismissed that idea - for now). However, I got some custom Strix backplates this could mount to, though I would prefer direct to back VRAM (and back VRM) mounting with only one layer of 0.5 mm Thermalright pads, if possible