Jump to content

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
IGNORED

40+cm x16 PCI-e 4.0 Riders Needed and Desk GPU Rack for 2 GPU's


BWG
 Share

Recommended Posts

Got the 3080 in and up today, but I vertical mounted it because it's so pretty. Now I want to build or buy a small GPU desk tray to sit next to the PC so I can get my 1080ti's back up and running. It will have it's own loop independent from the PC to make it portable. 12 inches or roughly 20 cm reaches my desk from the 2nd PCI-e slot in my PC, so looking for 30mm+ risers. If I make it, it would be pieces I can add and subtract to house more or less GPU's as my needs change. 

 

Got any good suggestions or parts I should look at? Would love to find something already fabricated and aluminum, because I'd likely be using wood and paint if I do it myself.

 

 

20210419_190817.jpg

Edited by BWG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

...per project Raven , I started with a fully adjustable and tilt-able laptop desk from Walmart but heavily modded it; it's wood and metal and best of all, it has wheels, pic below. As to PCIe riser cables, are you looking for PCIe 3.0 or 4.0 for the 1080 Tis ? Lian Li makes some really nice PCIe4.0, but they're only 20 cm...pic below per Amazon is for 30 cm PCIe3...but I haven't tried that type personally (I'm using a Thermaltake PCIe3.0 / 20cm in one of my builds and it works perfectly).

 

If all else fails, may be email Linus Tech - I've seen them mucking about with 40 cm++ risers...

 

ktaxonLapTopDesk.jpg.2f3c588b4687e58fa57eb6716350d36c.jpg 

 

PCIe3Riser300mm.thumb.jpg.0ff72a6ea9c29aca486463d48387ee79.jpg

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • BWG changed the title to 40+cm x16 PCI-e 4.0 Riders Needed and Desk GPU Rack for 2 GPU's
EHW Content Creator
1 minute ago, T.Sharp said:

Forgive my ignorance, but does folding require a decent amount of bus bandwidth, or is it similar to mining where you can get away with a 1x connection?

Good question. 8x + suffers no penalty. 4x maybe 10% reduction in PPD, 1x usually greater than 20%. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Avacado said:

Good question. 8x + suffers no penalty. 4x maybe 10% reduction in PPD, 1x usually greater than 20%. 

Thanks, good to know!

So you could use a single x16 cable and a bifurcated riser if the board supported it, aye?

Any reason to use PCIe 4.0 risers? From what I've read / seen, they are more finnicky and there's nothing that can really use the extra bandwidth of 4.0

PCIe bifurcation PCI Express bifurcated Riser Card Dual GPU-x8x8 - 2W | eBay

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW Content Creator
11 minutes ago, T.Sharp said:

Thanks, good to know!

So you could use a single x16 cable and a bifurcated riser if the board supported it, aye?

Any reason to use PCIe 4.0 risers? From what I've read / seen, they are more finnicky and there's nothing that can really use the extra bandwidth of 4.0

PCIe bifurcation PCI Express bifurcated Riser Card Dual GPU-x8x8 - 2W | eBay

Yea, you can use those guys. I have 2 and they aren't cheap. Your MOBO "MUST" support PCI-e lane bifurcation to be able to use them. PCI-e 4.0 Risers are indeed a waste with current chipset technology and a waste of money as you stated. 

 

20210419_213306.thumb.jpg.b5b9a0eb297f6883adf48616268f1a4a.jpg

Edited by Avacado
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I ended up settling for these because they had a 50% off promo. (I'm a sucker for sales) Now I'm looking at those splitters and thinking this could expand! I'll have to take a minute and do some math and research, but this whole concept will be an ongoing project of mine. I kind of like the idea! I'm going to get these on Friday though, put 2 in, hook them to the ti's, then see how it all gels.

 

Got 4 because I have another PC that I'll likely do the same thing to when the 3090 arrives.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW Content Creator
1 minute ago, T.Sharp said:

Jeez, you're not kidding. $100 for one of those. 

I didn't expect such a simple PCB to cost that much. Is it passive or does it have some kind of controller? 

It's passive, but requires it's own 8 Pin PCI-e PSU cable. Believe me when I say that the quality is TOP notch. They guy makes his own PCB's and it's an example of German engineering at it's best. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW Content Creator
2 minutes ago, BWG said:

Well, I ended up settling for these because they had a 50% off promo. (I'm a sucker for sales) Now I'm looking at those splitters and thinking this could expand! I'll have to take a minute and do some math and research, but this whole concept will be an ongoing project of mine. I kind of like the idea! I'm going to get these on Friday though, put 2 in, hook them to the ti's, then see how it all gels.

 

Got 4 because I have another PC that I'll likely do the same thing to when the 3090 arrives.

That looks like a good deal. Damn, I might buy a few. Is 30cm going to be enough for your needs?

Edited by Avacado
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Yeah, should be an inch beside the PC. The run from slot 2 was 10.5 inches to the desk and under the glass door.

 

I think I'll prop the GPU's up a bit for plug access.

 

Might even flip them so the plugs face me for vr stuff lol Yeah, no.

Edited by BWG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Avacado said:

It's passive, but requires it's own 8 Pin PCI-e PSU cable. Believe me when I say that the quality is TOP notch. They guy makes his own PCB's and it's an example of German engineering at it's best. 

 

...with that kind of thing, quality is a must. By coincidence, latest Gamers' Nexus vid on the PCIe riser theme 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Avacadotell me about this GPU rack you're getting. 

 

I have a few cases that are pretty much scrap, so I was thinking I may cut them and make a gpu mount or 2 out of them and some wood. Anyone ever do such a thing in here?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW Content Creator
22 minutes ago, BWG said:

@Avacadotell me about this GPU rack you're getting. 

 

I have a few cases that are pretty much scrap, so I was thinking I may cut them and make a gpu mount or 2 out of them and some wood. Anyone ever do such a thing in here?

The 2 cases are from the Tesla thread, post from April 1

 

The only case I ever built myself was made out of cardboard when I was a teenager. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW Content Creator
9 hours ago, BWG said:

@Avacadotell me about this GPU rack you're getting. 

 

I have a few cases that are pretty much scrap, so I was thinking I may cut them and make a gpu mount or 2 out of them and some wood. Anyone ever do such a thing in here?

I just found this and i'm pissed I didn't buy it. I might return those 2 cases and buy it. It's EXACTLY what I am looking for. 

 

https://www.mountainmods.com/product_info.php?products_id=725

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW Content Creator
16 minutes ago, Avacado said:

I just found this and i'm pissed I didn't buy it. I might return those 2 cases and buy it. It's EXACTLY what I am looking for. 

 

https://www.mountainmods.com/product_info.php?products_id=725

I'm pissed that I just bought it. Looks like the other cases are going back. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

\

41 minutes ago, franz said:

A little late to the party, but HighSpeed PC has tech benches and junk.  I have 3 of them so far.

 

Here is something that may suite you @BWG

 

https://www.highspeedpc.com/category_s/1844.htm

 

OMG Yes! I know I cut that case up, but not having a slot in between them required me to use a distro block to easily connect them. That led to a whole nother issue that came to light yesterday when I tied them into the loop. When I broke those block screws free, I heard that awful cracking noise, and I tested them out, and they both leak at the terminal. One of the screw holes on each looked a little black too. I think the prior owner torqued them too tight when he took them off to clean the blocks.

 

Luckily, I just bought 2 used off reddit for $100 shipped for both, so I'll go ahead and order one of these @franz and use it instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW Content Creator
1 hour ago, franz said:

A little late to the party, but HighSpeed PC has tech benches and junk.  I have 3 of them so far.

 

Here is something that may suite you @BWG

 

https://www.highspeedpc.com/category_s/1844.htm

That's pretty cool, had never heard of them before. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How many PSI should I hit it with when I get it back together? 

 

Hey, I'm going to have Spotswood build me a GPU bench custom instead of getting one of those things. Did you ever see his work? He used to give away benches in the FAT's on OCN.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This Website may place and access certain Cookies on your computer. ExtremeHW uses Cookies to improve your experience of using the Website and to improve our range of products and services. ExtremeHW has carefully chosen these Cookies and has taken steps to ensure that your privacy is protected and respected at all times. All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law. For more information please see our Privacy Policy