Jump to content

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.

Bare aluminum air cooled case


Recommended Posts

I finished a bare aluminum case for a client. This case was designed to house an air cooled rig (1x 120mm and 5x 140mm fans).  The motherboard tray came from Mountain Mods.

 

 

Air case front 1.png

 

Air case back 2.png

 

Air case bottom CU.png

 

Air case front inside.png

 

Air case grill CU.png

 

Air case PSU CU.png

 

Air case PSU.png

 

Air case side 3.png

 

Air case side 4.png

 

Air case side angle.png

Edited by Spotswood
Link to post
Share on other sites
Administrators

Oh nice, That should certainly get a good amount of airflow. I could for see cable management being a little trickier in that sort of case. I guess we are all too used to having PSU shrouds for hiding cables and grommet holes for routing cables behind the motherboard tray haha. I can see there is space behind the motherboard tray, so routing of the cables could go from the PSU and straight up behind it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Premium Platinum

I like it, definitely well made 👍

 

As for keeping things neat cable wise, there are ways that can be  done using the extrusions as guides. For instance, 80/20 sells cable tie mounts you can easily slip into t-slots in a cinch. They also sell t-slot covers which can be useful for hiding longer stretches of one or two wires (e.g., from a tmp monitoring device like those sold by Aquacomputer and others), depending on the wire gauge and extrusion t-slot size.

 

Might not be as pretty as your typical hidden routing areas and grommet holes, but you can certainly make things look organized.

Edited by iamjanco
Link to post
Share on other sites
Administrators
On 4/28/2021 at 9:48 PM, iamjanco said:

I like it, definitely well made 👍

 

As for keeping things neat cable wise, there are ways that can be  done using the extrusions as guides. For instance, 80/20 sells cable tie mounts you can easily slip into t-slots in a cinch. They also sell t-slot covers which can be useful for hiding longer stretches of one or two wires (e.g., from a tmp monitoring device like those sold by Aquacomputer and others), depending on the wire gauge and extrusion t-slot size.

 

Might not be as pretty as your typical hidden routing areas and grommet holes, but you can certainly make things look organized.

Those are not bad. I use adhesive mounts that allow you to loop a cable tie through, very useful for creating your own route while keeping the cables taught to the chassis.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Premium Platinum
2 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Those are not bad. I use adhesive mounts that allow you to loop a cable tie through, very useful for creating your own route while keeping the cables taught to the chassis.

Yeah, I've got those as well, but don't really use them anymore simply because they tend to loosen up and eventually fall off what they're mounted to if their adhesive backings are subpar/aren't high strength (e.g., equivalent to something like 3M LSE300 specs). Proper surface prep is considered in that statement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Administrators
36 minutes ago, iamjanco said:

Yeah, I've got those as well, but don't really use them anymore simply because they tend to loosen up and eventually fall off what they're mounted to if their adhesive backings are subpar/aren't high strength (e.g., equivalent to something like 3M LSE300 specs). Proper surface prep is considered in that statement.

Yeah that is the only downside to them I agree. Sometimes I tend to replace the sticky on them with something better.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This Website may place and access certain Cookies on your computer. ExtremeHW uses Cookies to improve your experience of using the Website and to improve our range of products and services. ExtremeHW has carefully chosen these Cookies and has taken steps to ensure that your privacy is protected and respected at all times. All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law. For more information please see our Privacy Policy