Jump to content

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.

Steam Deck handheld PC $399 comes December


UltraMega
 Share

Recommended Posts

EHW News Editor
597 168
Quote

The rumors about Valve making a version of the Nintendo Switch for handheld Steam gaming are true. The company has revealed the Steam Deck, which will arrive in December in the US, Canada, the European Union and the UK, with availability expanding to more regions later. The system starts at $399.

WWW.MSN.COM

The rumors about Valve making a version of the Nintendo Switch for handheld Steam gaming are true. The company has revealed the Steam Deck, which will arrive in December in the US, Canada, the European...

 

spacer.png

 

1280x800 screen res

Ryzen + RDNA2 SOC

16GB ram

SteamOS

 

 

      Definitely more powerful than the switch but I still doubt this thing will see a much traction. If I wanted to play a PC game on mobile, it wouldn't be a game that needed fast responses so streaming it just seems like it would make more sense, and for those who actually want something portable, I think the switch has that thoroughly covered. The switch also works well because it can be marketed to kids who don't have smartphones so they don't have any other mobile gaming options, but adults who would want to play PC games probably don't spend a lot of time in places where they would be able to game on a portable device and for those times they do, a smartphone is enough for those rare instance. It's also kinda weird how it has thumb-sticks and touchpads even though Valve dropped the steam controller. Looks like they had a hard time deciding on a final design. 

      Perhaps just another example of Valve trying to do something no one really wanted. 

 

Edited by UltraMega
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This can also be docked like a switch and used as a desktop computer.  If portable gaming is your thing, you don't have to buy new games since you have access to your Steam Library.

 

WWW.STEAMDECK.COM

Steam Deck is a powerful handheld gaming PC that delivers the Steam games and features you love.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW News Editor
597 168
14 hours ago, Diffident said:

This can also be docked like a switch and used as a desktop computer.  If portable gaming is your thing, you don't have to buy new games since you have access to your Steam Library.

 

WWW.STEAMDECK.COM

Steam Deck is a powerful handheld gaming PC that delivers the Steam games and features you love.

 

But is portable gaming really important to anyone over the age of 20 or so? Unless someone rides the bus to school or work, when are they realistically going to use this? 

 

All my adult friends who own a switch never use it portably. Only ever seen kids do that. 

 

I just don't think there are many PC gamers who want a portable device. Portable gaming not practical for the vast majority of adults IMO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

But is portable gaming really important to anyone over the age of 20 or so? Unless someone rides the bus to school or work, when are they realistically going to use this? 

 

All my adult friends who own a switch never use it portably. Only ever seen kids do that. 

 

I just don't think there are many PC gamers who want a portable device. Portable gaming not practical for the vast majority of adults IMO. 

I could ALMOST see my 40y/o son buying this for when he's off shore,but then you have the whole lack of bandwidth issue for the games if he's gonna play while out there.🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW News Editor
597 168
35 minutes ago, schuck6566 said:

I could ALMOST see my 40y/o son buying this for when he's off shore,but then you have the whole lack of bandwidth issue for the games if he's gonna play while out there.🙄

Is your son a sailor? Sounds like a laptop would work just as well for that situation. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, UltraMega said:

Is your son a sailor? Sounds like a laptop would work just as well for that situation. 

was navy, now he does off shore robot sub. They do explorations and ck off shore rigs also. 🙂 usually out 6-9 weeks at a time,and the wifi is satellite so they have to watch how much they're using or it bogs it down for the other guys. lol He use to take his notebook,but it got to where between the wifi and the graphics the pc gaming out there wasn't worth the effort. Now he pretty much does console gaming when he comes in.(I have a grandaughter who also plays on the console with him. 🙂 )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW News Editor
597 168
25 minutes ago, schuck6566 said:

was navy, now he does off shore robot sub. They do explorations and ck off shore rigs also. 🙂 usually out 6-9 weeks at a time,and the wifi is satellite so they have to watch how much they're using or it bogs it down for the other guys. lol He use to take his notebook,but it got to where between the wifi and the graphics the pc gaming out there wasn't worth the effort. Now he pretty much does console gaming when he comes in.(I have a grandaughter who also plays on the console with him. 🙂 )

Hmm, sounds like your son has an interesting life. Still, I think if he were to use some kind of portable PC device for gaming, a laptop would work just as well if not better for his situation because it's not like he's riding a bus or something like that where it would have to be handheld. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, UltraMega said:

But is portable gaming really important to anyone over the age of 20 or so? Unless someone rides the bus to school or work, when are they realistically going to use this? 

 

All my adult friends who own a switch never use it portably. Only ever seen kids do that. 

 

I just don't think there are many PC gamers who want a portable device. Portable gaming not practical for the vast majority of adults IMO. 

It's probably released 10 years too late, but I'm not sure adults are it's target audience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW News Editor
597 168
20 minutes ago, Diffident said:

It's probably released 10 years too late, but I'm not sure adults are it's target audience.

Sure but the way I see it, not many kids who don't already have a gaming PC would want this over a desktop or laptop and those kids who do have a gaming PC, well they are kids and usually don't have a ton of money to spend on secondary gaming devices. 

 

Just seems like a gap in the market that's too small to address to me but time will tell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW News Editor
597 168
5 hours ago, BWG said:

Saw a reservation for a 512gb one sell for $1,600 on on eBay already.

Just because it's listed at that price, doesn't mean people are going to pay that. 

 

There are other devices that exist that are just like the steam deck that are way less than $1600. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW News Editor
933 463
9 hours ago, UltraMega said:

Just because it's listed at that price, doesn't mean people are going to pay that. 

 

There are other devices that exist that are just like the steam deck that are way less than $1600. 

Oh, someone out there WILL most definitely pay that price. I promise. Idiocracy is real. Tech, it's what nerds crave.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, UltraMega said:

Just because it's listed at that price, doesn't mean people are going to pay that. 

 

There are other devices that exist that are just like the steam deck that are way less than $1600. 

yeah,I think before I dropped that kinda cash on that,I'd get Game Pass on android(I'm already paying for game pass ultimate so no added subscription price) 

WWW.DIGITALTRENDS.COM

Want to play your Xbox One games on a phone no matter where you are? You can do so with Xbox Remote Play and a mobile device. Here's...

 

Edited by schuck6566
added content
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From a gadget perspective the Steam Deck is "Cool" so far as the hardware and the nerd factor of being able to play AAA titles "on the go". However I struggle to find an audience for this.

 

Other hand helds, like the Nintendo Switch have a huge following and audience A. Due to their long hand held history and B. Exclusive game titles spanning years of Nintendo's overall history.

 

I mean C'mon, so far as hardware... the switch is nothing special. The magic is it doesn't have to be due to the titles...that is what brings people in.

 

Something like the Steam Deck, as powerful as it may be so far as hardware, has literally ZERO excitement factor. There is nothing authentic or exclusive about it. Nobody is going to buy it on the premise of "OMG I must have it to play the new DOOM game".... because you can play it on far better platforms. 

 

If the Steam Deck can create an exclusive portfolio or something stunningly unique. I fear we won't see a Steam Deck 2.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW News Editor
597 168
2 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

From a gadget perspective the Steam Deck is "Cool" so far as the hardware and the nerd factor of being able to play AAA titles "on the go". However I struggle to find an audience for this.

 

Other hand helds, like the Nintendo Switch have a huge following and audience A. Due to their long hand held history and B. Exclusive game titles spanning years of Nintendo's overall history.

 

I mean C'mon, so far as hardware... the switch is nothing special. The magic is it doesn't have to be due to the titles...that is what brings people in.

 

Something like the Steam Deck, as powerful as it may be so far as hardware, has literally ZERO excitement factor. There is nothing authentic or exclusive about it. Nobody is going to buy it on the premise of "OMG I must have it to play the new DOOM game".... because you can play it on far better platforms. 

 

If the Steam Deck can create an exclusive portfolio or something stunningly unique. I fear we won't see a Steam Deck 2.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW News Editor
597 168
Posted (edited)

I was thinking about this and trying to figure out why this product kinda bothers me and I think it's because this thing will probably sell a lot better than it deserves to just because of the Valve name. There are a lot of people out there who see Valve as a company that can do no wrong while I see Valve as the first company to market with a decent digital store for PC games, and living off that success while dropping all the project that gave them an initial following. 

Reading comments about this online, it's clear there are tons of people who are really excited for this well beyond the level of excitement this product actually warrants. 

Edited by UltraMega
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, UltraMega said:

I was thinking about this and trying to figure out why this product kinda bothers me and I think it's because this thing will probably sell a lot better than it deserves to just because of the Valve name. There are a lot of people out there who see Valve as a company that can do no wrong while I see Valve as the first company to market with a decent digital store for PC games, and living off that success while dropping all the project that gave them an initial following. 

Reading comments about this online, it's clear there are tons of people who are really excited for this well beyond the level of excitement this product actually warrants. 

OMG! I know, They lost me hardware wise when I bought the Steam Link setup at half price and found out what junk it was. Worst $50 I ever wasted. Edit: Ok.$47.00 lol

Screenshot_519.jpg

Edited by schuck6566
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW News Editor
597 168
7 minutes ago, schuck6566 said:

OMG! I know, They lost me hardware wise when I bought the Steam Link setup at half price and found out what junk it was. Worst $50 I ever wasted.

I bought one on sale and it worked well for me. I also tired the steam link app on my smart tv and on my phone, worked well for me in all cases. I'm never too far from my router though so wifi signal is always strong. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

I bought one on sale and it worked well for me. I also tired the steam link app on my smart tv and on my phone, worked well for me in all cases. I'm never too far from my router though so wifi signal is always strong. 

the link streamed ok, it was the Controller they were so gungho about that I couldn't get a feel for. Was bigger than my xbox and my logitech F710 wireless ones plus it was plastic and had no real "feel" to it.(other than cheap) When I paired the link with a different controller,it wasn't bad.lol, I still have a comp with a i7 2600 and a gtx 970 hooked up to the same tv,so it really makes no sense for me to even bother using the link.🙂 what won't play straight off that comp,can usually stream off my main rig using the old 1. Both have nvidia cards so that helps also.

 

Edited by schuck6566
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW News Editor
597 168
Just now, schuck6566 said:

the link streamed ok, it was the Controller they were so gungho about that I couldn't get a feel for. Was bigger than my xbox and my logitech F710 wireless ones plus it was plastic and had no real "feel" to it.(other than cheap) When I paired the link with a different controller,it wasn't bad.lol, I still have a comp with a i7 2600 and a gtx 970 hooked up to the same tv,so it really makes no sense for me to even bother using the link.🙂 what won't paly straight off that comp,can usually stream off my main rig using the old 1. Both have nvidia cards so that helps also.

 

Ahh, I never tried the steam controller. I got a controller like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBXHG41/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_RE1M71J9B8J49G0QHREZ

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

Ahh, I never tried the steam controller. I got a controller like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBXHG41/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_RE1M71J9B8J49G0QHREZ

nice,when my logitech F710 started having some whacked out drift,I said the heck with it and went back to wired since I was sitting at the desk playing anyway and got this cheap 1 https://www.walmart.com/ip/PowerA-Enhanced-Wired-Controller-for-Xbox-Series-X-S-Blue/740384953

actually works & feels pretty nice. lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW News Editor
597 168
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, schuck6566 said:

nice,when my logitech F710 started having some whacked out drift,I said the heck with it and went back to wired since I was sitting at the desk playing anyway and got this cheap 1 https://www.walmart.com/ip/PowerA-Enhanced-Wired-Controller-for-Xbox-Series-X-S-Blue/740384953

actually works & feels pretty nice. lol

It works but I'd think using an Xbox controller with a phone/steam link without the phone stand is kinda rough. 

 

There are also controllers made to fit on the sides of a tablet so for people who want a bigger screen, a cheap tablet and a controller for it is probably less than $100. 

Edited by UltraMega
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

If the Steam Deck can create an exclusive portfolio or something stunningly unique. I fear we won't see a Steam Deck 2.

But not having anything exclusive to the platform is a good thing.  It's an open platform that you can use anyway you want.   I'm sure soon @BWG will have a basement full of Steam Decks running [email protected]

 

We need to get away from exclusives, not encourage more of them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This Website may place and access certain Cookies on your computer. ExtremeHW uses Cookies to improve your experience of using the Website and to improve our range of products and services. ExtremeHW has carefully chosen these Cookies and has taken steps to ensure that your privacy is protected and respected at all times. All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law. For more information please see our Privacy Policy