Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.

Strange Things With Drive Booting

PCSarge

i'm running an ASUS B550-I ROG Strix 

the M.2_1 slot (gen 4) has a sabrent rocket 500GB SSD in it with windows installed, but it wont boot from that drive.

the M.2_2 slot has an old WD blue SATA SSD in it, that somehow ended up being the UEFI windows boot manager, but contains no windows install what so ever? its literally a downloads and documents storage drive

why this is very STRANGE TO ME is when i installed windows 10, the only drive connected to my motherboard was the sabrent rocket in M.2_1

is there a possible way to fix this without reinstalling windows? i've tried disabling the WD and booting to the sabrent drive, and it just says no bootable drive.

36 minutes ago, PCSarge said:

i'm running an ASUS B550-I ROG Strix 

the M.2_1 slot (gen 4) has a sabrent rocket 500GB SSD in it with windows installed, but it wont boot from that drive.

the M.2_2 slot has an old WD blue SATA SSD in it, that somehow ended up being the UEFI windows boot manager, but contains no windows install what so ever? its literally a downloads and documents storage drive

why this is very STRANGE TO ME is when i installed windows 10, the only drive connected to my motherboard was the sabrent rocket in M.2_1

is there a possible way to fix this without reinstalling windows? i've tried disabling the WD and booting to the sabrent drive, and it just says no bootable drive.

Have you swapped the drive locations? You are able to see both drives when IN windows? It is quite strange. If it were me I would clear cmos/secure boot keys and try again. I know you said you don't want to do that, but I don't have any other suggestions. 

1 hour ago, Avacado said:

Have you swapped the drive locations? You are able to see both drives when IN windows? It is quite strange. If it were me I would clear cmos/secure boot keys and try again. I know you said you don't want to do that, but I don't have any other suggestions. 

both drives funtion normally in windows, the rear board M.2_2 slot is SATA only, so sadly swapping isnt an option. i find it strange that boot manager didnt end up on the windows install drive

EHW News Editor
713 212

IDK why the boot manager sometimes goes to a different drive when you install windows with more than one drive installed but its super annoying. I usually install windows with only one drive installed for this reason. 

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, tictoc said:

You should be able to boot from a Windows iso and fix it with Start Up Repair.

i actually remembered the old bcdboot command line saand used that to create an EFI partition on my drive, incase anyone needs it ill post it here:

Run the following commands in command prompt and click enter at the end of each:

• Diskpart

• List disk

• Select disk

• Select Partition(the one on your OS drive you are borrowing space from, you only need 100MB)

• shrink partition=500

• Create partition efi

• Format quick fs=fat32

• List partition

• List volume (i.e. the volume letter where the Windows OS is installed)

• Exit

• bcdboot X:/windows /s Y:(Replace "X" with the Volume letter of the Windows OS partition and "Y" with your new EFI Partition).

• Reboot your PC and change your bios to boot from your OS drive.

Edited by PCSarge

On 25/08/2021 at 17:36, UltraMega said:

IDK why the boot manager sometimes goes to a different drive when you install windows with more than one drive installed but its super annoying. I usually install windows with only one drive installed for this reason. 

Windows installs the boot loader to the "first" drive in sequential order.  If you have 6 SATA ports labeled 1 through 6 and you have drives connected to port 2 and port 5, windows will install the boot loader to the drive connected to port 2.  When connecting drives always put the OS drive in port 1, or port 0 depending on what nomenclature your board uses. 

If you have a mixture of NVME and SATA drives, the NVME drive will be considered "first".

Edited by Diffident