Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
IGNORED

Do Or Don't - The Neverending Story Of Windows 11

PCSarge

EHW Content Creator
90 55

Windows 11 is on our doorstep, but i'm sure we're all weary of "this is microsoft's last OS" and then them dropping another one 7 years later.

The real question is how bad with the compatibility nightmare be for older software and games, is it going to destroy everything that finally (somewhat) works on windows 10?

i'm looking at this from an IT standpoint because my boss is currently discussing upgrading, before the OS is even out. And frankly i'm already a bit weary from the jump that windows 7 to 10 did to us. the nightmares we endured for months to get everything running again properly.

anybody else unsure of microsofts promises except me?

I use Windows 11 as my daily driver, this is obviously with the Insider Previews.

I can honestly say that with my use cases it has not caused me any issues so far as device and driver compatibility, which would again improve over time.

I think the only issue I have had, is with Solidworks 2021 SP4. Seems to be visual glitches which I can only put down to Windows 11 behaviour as on Windows 10 it is fine. Granted though as with anything cutting edge, Solidworks does not yet support Windows 11, so likely some updates required.

Other than that, it has been awesome. 

I would not recommend you or your boss deploy it in a production environment, not unless you first do your own internal environment testing to ensure all is good. Plus as with anything just released, there will be bugs here and there to iron out. I would personally suggest you stick with Windows 10 for 3-6 months after the official release of Windows 11. Let it mature a little prior to production roll out.

• Thanks 2

EHW Content Creator
90 55
3 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

I use Windows 11 as my daily driver, this is obviously with the Insider Previews.

I can honestly say that with my use cases it has not caused me any issues so far as device and driver compatibility, which would again improve over time.

I think the only issue I have had, is with Solidworks 2021 SP4. Seems to be visual glitches which I can only put down to Windows 11 behaviour as on Windows 10 it is fine. Granted though as with anything cutting edge, Solidworks does not yet support Solidworks, so likely some updates required.

I would not recommend you or your boss deploy it in a production environment, not unless you first do your own internal environment testing to ensure all is good. Plus as with anything just released, there will be bugs here and there to iron out. I would personally suggest you stick with Windows 10 for 3-6 months after the official release of Windows 11. Let it mature a little prior to production roll out.

my possible thoughts were to deploy it on the machine i have at home for work use, and attempt software testing. because i can remote into servers and production machines from here for testing purposes if need be to pull the current running versions of software. my biggest worry is the software for our engineering team's 3D printer for making mock up parts. if they lose use of that they'll throw a fit for one. secondly itll slow down machine repairs and product deployments.

EDIT : in other news give me your GPU. just kidding.

Edited by PCSarge

40 minutes ago, PCSarge said:

my possible thoughts were to deploy it on the machine i have at home for work use, and attempt software testing. because i can remote into servers and production machines from here for testing purposes if need be to pull the current running versions of software. my biggest worry is the software for our engineering team's 3D printer for making mock up parts. if they lose use of that they'll throw a fit for one. secondly itll slow down machine repairs and product deployments.

EDIT : in other news give me your GPU. just kidding.

Good bet is to have a works machine at home on Windows 11 and test then I reckon. The likelihood is you would be fine, but everyone's use case is different. Good luck with your tests 🙂

On 30/09/2021 at 07:03, ENTERPRISE said:

I think the only issue I have had, is with Solidworks 2021 SP4. Seems to be visual glitches which I can only put down to Windows 11 behaviour as on Windows 10 it is fine. Granted though as with anything cutting edge, Solidworks does not yet support Windows 11, so likely some updates required.

That's funny, when I started reading your post I was thinking about any potential issues I could possibly have as far as compatibility with stuff I use. First thought was Solidworks, but you answered that just as I had formulated the thought, haha! I'll keep waiting then. Any big upsides or new features that you've found particularly useful?

8 minutes ago, Supercrumpet said:

That's funny, when I started reading your post I was thinking about any potential issues I could possibly have as far as compatibility with stuff I use. First thought was Solidworks, but you answered that just as I had formulated the thought, haha! I'll keep waiting then. Any big upsides or new features that you've found particularly useful?

Ha ! Glad to have helped. New features and upside, are you referring to Win 11 or SW 2021 ? 

From what I've been hearing about Win11 here, it seems like its decent so far.

Personally, I'm not really all that happy with 10 and not sure I'd want to jump to 11 or not myself.  I dislike all the integrated cloud features, don't like having to rely on daddy MS so much.  Granted....I do use some of the stuff but only because I'm too lazy to setup my own versions of the same things, and lack of knowledge on how to.  If they weren't pushing cloud computing so hard these days, I'd be more into it.  If I want something on my desktop or laptop, I'll put it on there.  If I don't want something on there, I expect to be able to not have it on there.  Windows 10 doesn't allow that, and I doubt 11 will either.

From an IT standpoint, I expect it to be just like jumping from Vista to 7.  It'll be a jump, but compatibility will probably be just fine between the 2 OS's.  It's going to be nowhere NEAR the headache of jumping from XP to Vista / 7.  They've been building up Windows since Vista now right?  Just like in the past they were building on what, basically Windows 3.1 (up until Vista).  I think at the base level of the OS, it'll be very near the same.

Note:  I haven't tried 11 yet, so this is just my opinion.  I HAVE, used every Windows OS to date, on release.  I think this will be the first time I'm personally skipping one.  If its forced on me, I might actually finally jump to Linux since it can now do everything I want it to.

5 hours ago, Supercrumpet said:

Referring to Windows. I always end up on the new version of SW every year whether I like it or not haha.

To be honest. Thus far Windows 11 brings the new taskbar UI which I rather enjoy. So far as anything else, Its like Windows 10. However my reason for looking forward to this OS was direct storage.

It is a feature that is coming to Win 11 , but it is not out just yet. 

Technically speaking Win 11 has had a few tweaks under the hood over Win 10 but from a real world usage, it is Windows 10 with enhancements and upcoming features like direct storage. 

Compatibility is great however, all devices have been supported moving to Win 11 and no issues with drivers. I kind of expected that however, as I say, its Win 10 with a facelift.

• Thanks 1

On 29/09/2021 at 23:56, PCSarge said:

And frankly i'm already a bit weary from the jump that windows 7 to 10 did to us. the nightmares we endured for months to get everything running again properly.

I've been out of that side of IT for years now, but I feel like the absolute worst for us was going from XP to 7 when it came to app compatibility with actually managed users instead of everyone being a local admin in the XP days. Plus yeah, plenty of other compatibility issues too.

EHW Content Creator
894 148

Well, it's not officially out and I have it. The only real issue I have is there doesn't seem to be a way to get the time on the taskbar that's on your secondary monitor. This is kind of important for me because I almost exclusively use my PC for gaming. Being able to see what the time is without having to alt+tab all the time is a nice feature which seems to be removed. I do like the new UI and the dark mode is actually good now. I also like that the search feature is instant now vs Windows 10 where it takes a little while to catch up with what you're typing.

I'd still avoid moving fully over to Windows 11 if it's work related though. Dual booting might be good to see if you have any compatibility issues. If you do, stick with 10. If not, switch fully over to 11.

3 hours ago, Andrew said:

Well, it's not officially out and I have it. The only real issue I have is there doesn't seem to be a way to get the time on the taskbar that's on your secondary monitor. This is kind of important for me because I almost exclusively use my PC for gaming. Being able to see what the time is without having to alt+tab all the time is a nice feature which seems to be removed. I do like the new UI and the dark mode is actually good now. I also like that the search feature is instant now vs Windows 10 where it takes a little while to catch up with what you're typing.

I'd still avoid moving fully over to Windows 11 if it's work related though. Dual booting might be good to see if you have any compatibility issues. If you do, stick with 10. If not, switch fully over to 11.

Right now you also cannot display seconds on the time which im hoping will be changed. Useful for telling if your system is hanging.

• Thanks 1