Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
IGNORED

Windows 11 memory leak problem causes File Explorer to eat RAM

ENTERPRISE

Windows 11 just launched for PCs and laptops which, according to Microsoft, is "a new era for the PC." However, there's trouble in this self stylized paradise as the OS is suffering from extensive memory leak issues caused by Windows File Explorer.

Source

EHW Content Creator
902 150
1 hour ago, tictoc said:

Is this even a bug?  explorer.exe is heavily integrated into everything, and from a non-Windows user, this just looks like typical OS caching.  If things are never evicted from memory it would be a problem, but unused memory is just wasted memory.  

I'd say it is a bug. I left file explorer open over night and it ended up using all 16GB of my RAM. My computer was sluggish until I restarted it.

6 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I'd say it is a bug. I left file explorer open over night and it ended up using all 16GB of my RAM. My computer was sluggish until I restarted it.

That's definitely a bug, and a true memory leak. How did a bug like that ever make it through QC and into the release version? Bugs happen, but this seems like a pretty obvious one. I'll have to fire up my Win 11 VM, and see if it's the same for one of the earlier betas.

EHW Content Creator
902 150
23 minutes ago, tictoc said:

That's definitely a bug, and a true memory leak. How did a bug like that ever make it through QC and into the release version? Bugs happen, but this seems like a pretty obvious one. I'll have to fire up my Win 11 VM, and see if it's the same for one of the earlier betas.

Oh, I forgot to mention lol that was with Windows 10. I haven't tried this with Windows 11, plus I have double the RAM now. I'll leave file explorer open over night tonight to see if the same thing happens.

EHW Content Creator
902 150
13 hours ago, Andrew said:

Oh, I forgot to mention lol that was with Windows 10. I haven't tried this with Windows 11, plus I have double the RAM now. I'll leave file explorer open over night tonight to see if the same thing happens.

Update: Left file explorer open over night, RAM usage was 9.5/32GB, this morning it's at 9.7/32GB.

I really don't see that as an issue.

6 hours ago, Andrew said:

Update: Left file explorer open over night, RAM usage was 9.5/32GB, this morning it's at 9.7/32GB.

I really don't see that as an issue.

For you, no. However from what I have read it seems situational, some have it and some do. I need to check if I am a victim lol.

• Thanks 1

EHW Content Creator
902 150

I just tried that out, it started off with 7.9GB usage. It got up to 8.7GB and 58 windows open until I couldn't be bothered to open any more. RAM usage dropped to 8.5GB. Except in workspace environments, I don't see it as a problem and no one in a workspace environment is going to be on Windows 11 yet. Most of them are still on Windows 7.