Jump to content

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
IGNORED

Nvidia partners told to prepare for Ampere refresh


UltraMega
 Share

Recommended Posts

Quote

It seems that a new Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 model is on the horizon, one that bumps up the graphics card’s VRAM from 10GB to 12GB. 

 

The rumors come from user Vermicelli on the Chiphell forums, who first listed upcoming GPUs. And this new RTX 3080 SKU would mean that the 10GB model would be discontinued, at least according to VideoCardz.

 

VideoCardz claims Nvidia board partners have been told to prepare for the upcoming refresh, with hints at a possible CES 2022 launch. That would be the same time that other GPUs like the GeForce RTX 3090 Ti and an RTX 3070 Ti 16GB may make an appearance.

WWW.MSN.COM

Plenty of recent rumor rumblings have revealed a possible update to the GeForce RTX 3080, which would give the GPU a 2GB VRAM upgrade.

 

I guess I missed this news before, but after seeing the news abut Nvidia halting production on some cards and looking into that, I came across this. The timing for this news seems to be pretty close to the timing for the source of info the other news about halting production is based on so I assume they are related. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I will never understand. There just is no real placement for the 3070Ti in my opinion. I agree though, the halted production is likely related to producing the refresh line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yep, makes sense. So if they are halting production, does that make these replacements then like how the 2070 Super replaced the 2080, and the 2060 Super replaced the 2070 when it came to production? 

 

Also curious what they'll MSRP a 12GB 3080 these days. Isn't that what a 3080 Ti is really?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/11/2021 at 13:57, Sir Beregond said:

Yep, makes sense. So if they are halting production, does that make these replacements then like how the 2070 Super replaced the 2080, and the 2060 Super replaced the 2070 when it came to production? 

 

Also curious what they'll MSRP a 12GB 3080 these days. Isn't that what a 3080 Ti is really?

Drop-in replacement at $1,850 in scalper paradize.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/11/2021 at 11:57, Sir Beregond said:

Yep, makes sense. So if they are halting production, does that make these replacements then like how the 2070 Super replaced the 2080, and the 2060 Super replaced the 2070 when it came to production? 

 

Also curious what they'll MSRP a 12GB 3080 these days. Isn't that what a 3080 Ti is really?

With the 2000 series there was a 2080, 2080Ti and a 2080 super. I suspect this new variant will be a 3080 super, but it will be interesting to see how it slots in. There was a big margin between the 2080 and 2080Ti for the 2080 super to fit into but that's not really the case here. Maybe the super refresh will be a more significant upgrade this time around. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, UltraMega said:

With the 2000 series there was a 2080, 2080Ti and a 2080 super. I suspect this new variant will be a 3080 super, but it will be interesting to see how it slots in. There was a big margin between the 2080 and 2080Ti for the 2080 super to fit into but that's not really the case here. Maybe the super refresh will be a more significant upgrade this time around. 

Yeah that's why I am wondering if they are just EOLing the 3080 for these so they can slot in with more VRAM and much higher MSRP. It's not like there is a big difference between the 3080 and 3080 Ti and they aren't discontinuing the 3080 Ti.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sir Beregond said:

Yeah that's why I am wondering if they are just EOLing the 3080 for these so they can slot in with more VRAM and much higher MSRP. It's not like there is a big difference between the 3080 and 3080 Ti and they aren't discontinuing the 3080 Ti.

I would imagine that is the case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/11/2021 at 04:40, mAs81 said:

When the last mining craze gave out,I got me my used GTX 1070Ti for cheap…

Let’s hope that when/if the current one also does I’ll be so lucky..

The 3000 series was DOA,and still is,at least in my country,no matter how much VRAM they cram in there 

Considering other factors besides just the mining craze are at work, I wouldn't count on it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This Website may place and access certain Cookies on your computer. ExtremeHW uses Cookies to improve your experience of using the Website and to improve our range of products and services. ExtremeHW has carefully chosen these Cookies and has taken steps to ensure that your privacy is protected and respected at all times. All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law. For more information please see our Privacy Policy