Jump to content

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW creating an account. 

 

Registered users can: 

  • Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Forums first comp: CPUz Benchmark


Storm-Chaser

Recommended Posts

On 10/04/2022 at 09:21, ArchStanton said:

As someone who is considering replacing his RAM heatsinks in the future (not much point till I've learned quite a bit more about tuning RAM), I'd be very interested in any tricks of the trade.  I'm sure there are other videos and/or text-based tutorials out there already, but I'd be all ears for anything you wish to share.  Though perhaps Storm-Chaser's life would be simpler if we didn't plop it down in his thread 🙂.

The competition here is still going but I'm not going to be able to update the table anymore, so we can still post results but we will have to figure out placings as we go. Sorry guys, lets just monitor scores as we go from here on out. I just don't have the time anymore to update it. 

 

In terms of other cooling/computer/etc content post here, well I don't mind it in general, since the competition itself is basically on "autopilot" mode now. As long as the content is good and relevant we can brain-storm (see what I did there?) about it here in this thread and then secondarily if the content is good enough, move to it's own thread. But by all means don't be worried about different content posted here. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Premium Platinum
1k 703

Little bit of an improvement on my 5800x. I had to play with this one for the Challenger Division II Round I competition on HWBOT, so I gave CPUZ another try.

All core 4875mhz, 671.5 single and 7136.2 multi 7807.7 total. (Previous multi was 6774)

2067013951_CPUZ5800x4875mhzallcore7807.7.thumb.jpg.9e3e62fd149d731dd81d5b5f440574c8.jpg

 

Maybe I should update my bios too 🤔

Edited by Bastiaan_NL
  • Thanks 1
  • Respect 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Premium Silver
203 306
5 hours ago, bonami2 said:

Am the best here with my 2 in 1 acer with a Pentium N4020

 

Best score with a reboot and high priority.

 

Cry in corner cant even beat a core 2 duo 🥲

bench no restart.png

Well... It looks like it scales perfectly per core. Both cores is essentially twice the performance of one core.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW News Editor
503 190
On 25/04/2022 at 02:47, Mr. Fox said:

Well... It looks like it scales perfectly per core. Both cores is essentially twice the performance of one core.

The scaling is great we cant lie about that.

Wonder why intel doesnt make those hyperthreaded.

 

Performance wise it slower than my phone 😆

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, damric said:

That's a very interesting build and you'll have to tell the story of how that one came about because I know those and those boards were expensive as hell back when they were new. Is that also overclocked somehow?

The base unit was a barebones dual processor capable z840 with no GPU/mem/CPU. that cost me about $350 on ebay. It has some scratches but you can replace both side panels pretty easily and covers are cheap online.

 

I used the HP factory water cooling system, which is also compatible with the z820 (which raises the question of building a possible sleeper using z840 parts in a z820), since motherboard/CPUs are in identical locations. I already had this liquid cooling sitting around since I have a lot of spare z820s. But both rigs are pretty low profile looking anyway.

 

Memory is single rank (I know, should have gone dual but it was cheap @ ~ $300) set up in a dual (quad) channel configuration which is eight channel effective, with a latency penalty. That's sixteen DIMMS across both CPUs. 


Chips can be turbo hacked but you need x99 motherboard to reveal full potential. I chose two 2696 v3 chips because they have the base clock of the flagship 2699 v3 (2.3GHz) but a higher all core turbo (2.6 vs 2.8GHz) and higher single core turbo of 3.8GHz vs 3.6GHz for the flagship. They run about $149.99 on ebay in grade A condition. So this is stock performance with no turbo manipulation but I do have a couple of other tricks up my sleeve which help a little with benchmarking. people have had luck with SOME of the z series computers and turbo hacking by removing the microcode from the BIOS. This is done by mostly by sourcing very old BIOS releases which were produced before some of the potentially turbo hackable chips hit the market. But they are difficult to install and hard to find in the wild now. To make improvements I had to settle for reducing temps and undervolting. This was done my removing standard heat sink grease and applying liquid metal and also to undervolt the processors using throttlestop, which is a bit tricky. But from there I can also raise the NB multiplier to 30, which gives me a little more memory throughput. 

 

These CPUs are binned and designed to operate at a very low voltage, just a shame they cannot be overclocked. The system would be unstoppable if I could overclock, or at least more fun!

 

Someone got me into dual CPU rigs way back (shout out to @mr.scott) and I never looked back. It's what allows you to take dated old technology and actually still be competitive against new technology (to some extent). Plus who doesn't like loading up a rig with the best hardware and seeing out it will perform? Two processors is just double the phun in my opinion. 

 

There is a build log on this forum in that subsection with more detailed information if you are interested. But yes, definitely my favorite build to date. Plus the z840 has a pretty sick looking motherboard.

 

s-l1600

 

image.thumb.jpeg.9d06ea9dafe143532d2b4fb91f2dcca5.jpeg

 

image.thumb.jpeg.0ad4e2e19ccc7fc2814e723054a6c67d.jpeg

 

 

Edited by Storm-Chaser
  • Thanks 1
  • Respect 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Premium Silver
203 306
On 02/05/2022 at 10:24, Storm-Chaser said:

The base unit was a barebones dual processor capable z840 with no GPU/mem/CPU. that cost me about $350 on ebay. It has some scratches but you can replace both side panels pretty easily and covers are cheap online.

 

I used the HP factory water cooling system, which is also compatible with the z820 (which raises the question of building a possible sleeper using z840 parts in a z820), since motherboard/CPUs are in identical locations. I already had this liquid cooling sitting around since I have a lot of spare z820s. But both rigs are pretty low profile looking anyway.

 

Memory is single rank (I know, should have gone dual but it was cheap @ ~ $300) set up in a dual (quad) channel configuration which is eight channel effective, with a latency penalty. That's sixteen DIMMS across both CPUs. 


Chips can be turbo hacked but you need x99 motherboard to reveal full potential. I chose two 2696 v3 chips because they have the base clock of the flagship 2699 v3 (2.3GHz) but a higher all core turbo (2.6 vs 2.8GHz) and higher single core turbo of 3.8GHz vs 3.6GHz for the flagship. They run about $149.99 on ebay in grade A condition. So this is stock performance with no turbo manipulation but I do have a couple of other tricks up my sleeve which help a little with benchmarking. people have had luck with SOME of the z series computers and turbo hacking by removing the microcode from the BIOS. This is done by mostly by sourcing very old BIOS releases which were produced before some of the potentially turbo hackable chips hit the market. But they are difficult to install and hard to find in the wild now. To make improvements I had to settle for reducing temps and undervolting. This was done my removing standard heat sink grease and applying liquid metal and also to undervolt the processors using throttlestop, which is a bit tricky. But from there I can also raise the NB multiplier to 30, which gives me a little more memory throughput. 

 

These CPUs are binned and designed to operate at a very low voltage, just a shame they cannot be overclocked. The system would be unstoppable if I could overclock, or at least more fun!

 

Someone got me into dual CPU rigs way back (shout out to @mr.scott) and I never looked back. It's what allows you to take dated old technology and actually still be competitive against new technology (to some extent). Plus who doesn't like loading up a rig with the best hardware and seeing out it will perform? Two processors is just double the phun in my opinion. 

 

There is a build log on this forum in that subsection with more detailed information if you are interested. But yes, definitely my favorite build to date. Plus the z840 has a pretty sick looking motherboard.

 

s-l1600

 

image.thumb.jpeg.9d06ea9dafe143532d2b4fb91f2dcca5.jpeg

 

image.thumb.jpeg.0ad4e2e19ccc7fc2814e723054a6c67d.jpeg

 

 

The inside of that has a very clean and organized look to how it is put together.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Premium Bronze
540 314
Posted (edited)

Playing around with this Ryzen 5 5500, which is basically a lower bin 5600G with disabled iGPU. So far it clocks pretty well and I was able to validate a near 5GHz OC for HWBOT. 

VALID.X86.FR

[iswww6] Validated Dump by damric (2022-05-07 00:56:40) - MB: ASRock X470 Taichi - RAM: 32768 MB

 

For bench-stable it does over 4850MHz all-core, with impressive single thread 668 and good multi-thread 5299, again beating the i5-12600 though not as close to the 12600K as the 5600G was on multicore.

VALID.X86.FR

[05xfkw] Validated Dump by Luke (damric) (2022-05-07 16:38:41) - MB: ASRock X470 Taichi - RAM: 32768 MB

 

For 24/7-stable I have it dialed in at 104MHz base clock with +200 PBO which gives more than 4650MHz, a +400MHz improvement over stock turbo.

 

 

CPU-Zbench-1.jpg

Edited by damric
  • Thanks 2
  • Respect 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
Premium Platinum
843 467
Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

Upgraded to the 5800X. Single thread CPUz score is now 640. 

 

What kind of temps do u guys see on Ryzen 5000? 

Screenshot 2022-05-31 113658.jpg

Will let you know when I start using mine. Hoping to finish rig this week or early next depending on time this weekend (we may go away). 

 

Will say I've heard that the 5800X tends to run hotter as its a higher concentration of heat generation in one spot by nature of 1 full 8-core ccx compared to say the 5600X with one 6-core ccx, or the 5900X with 12 cores, but spread out over two 6-core ccx's, so there's a little more heat distribution into the IHS by nature of that vs the 5800X.

 

That said, I've also heard others say they haven't seen a big difference, so who knows. 😄

Edited by Sir Beregond
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW News Editor
1.3k 539
Posted (edited)

It looks like my temps are 4-5c high compared to the 3700x but still well under the safe temp limit which is 90c. 

 

I wish there was something more interesting for me to try on this CPU but in the one game I've tested so far, my FPS has improved 0%. More proof that there are no interesting CPU gains in 4K. 

Edited by UltraMega
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW News Editor
503 190
11 hours ago, UltraMega said:

It looks like my temps are 4-5c high compared to the 3700x but still well under the safe temp limit which is 90c. 

 

I wish there was something more interesting for me to try on this CPU but in the one game I've tested so far, my FPS has improved 0%. More proof that there are no interesting CPU gains in 4K. 

Low fps probably improved a little. Depend mostly on the game. Arma 3 use 1 thread heavily. And beam ng both use single and multithreading depending on how complicated and how many car you spawn.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This Website may place and access certain Cookies on your computer. ExtremeHW uses Cookies to improve your experience of using the Website and to improve our range of products and services. ExtremeHW has carefully chosen these Cookies and has taken steps to ensure that your privacy is protected and respected at all times. All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law. For more information please see our Privacy Policy