Jump to content

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW creating an account. 

 

Registered users can: 

  • Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Opinion: AMD's GPU control panel is way better than Nvidia's


UltraMega
 Share

Recommended Posts

Nvidia: 

nvidia-display-control-panel.png

 

 

AMD:

 

Screenshot 2022-04-02 140131.jpg

 

 

I don't get why Nvidia hasn't updated their control panel layout since I was a kid playing far cry 1 and BF1942. It works, but it looks like something from windows XP and it lacks basic features like doing updates. I know there is the GeForce Experience thing which will do updates and all that stuff but I always hate using that and being forced to sign in just to do basic things. AMD's control panel does pretty much everything GeForce Experience + The Nvidia Control Panel can do but all in one and without making you sign in, but actually does more because there are OC controls available among other things. Just something I've thought about ever since I got my current GPU with this is my first AMD card. 

 

Once AMD catches up with FSR 2.0 and smart upscaling is pretty ubiquitous and even enough to work well across the board, I feel like AMD will be operating on an even basis with Nvidia as far as support and features go. I've definitely been surprised by the quality of their drivers lately at the very least. People used to say AMD driver support was way behind Nvidia and I think that was true for a long time but from my experience that does not seem to be the case anymore. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to get an AMD card in the future for any software related reasons at this point.

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

 Share

CPU: 3700x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3200 @3600
GPU: RX 6800
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've only begun messing around with it (Radeon software).  Minor annoyance: needing to turn off their (data mining I think) "customer experience program" after each update.  Also, does it offer the ability to save multiple, or even better application specific, overclock profiles?  I notice it "runs home to momma" and defaults back to no overclock whatsoever any time any part of the system has a hiccup.  It would be nice to have specific one click profiles for various benchmarks/games.  It may have this functionality already and I am simply unaware, as I have not delved deeply into all the available settings yet.

  • Thanks 1

TDM

Owned

 Share

CPU: 5950x
MOTHERBOARD: Dark Hero
GPU: Aorus 6900XT Extreme WF
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws V 64GB 3600 14-14-14-34
WC CPU BLOCK: Watercool Heatkiller IV
WC PUMP: XTOP Revo / FLT 120 + 3 D5's
SSD/NVME: Samsung 980 Pro
CASE: Gutted Enthoo Pro 2
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Premium Bronze
554 329

Yeah the basic Nvidia driver controls haven't changed in a long assed time, but also yeah if you want something that looks better you need to install the whole experience thing, which looks very much like and feels similar to newer AMD drivers in functionality. 

  • Thanks 1

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD: X470 Taichi
RAM: 4x8GB Ballistix (Micron E)
GPU: VEGA 64
PSU: LEADEX III 850W
CASE: HAF XB
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power A80 1TB
SSD/NVME 2: Silicon Power A80 1TB
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

You ever run linux you'll never buy another Nvidia card again. Nvidia's proprietary driver BS makes them a pain in the butt on Linux, Yes their (AMD) software AND drivers are actually better. I was spoon fed "muh Nvidia drivers better" for over 10 years before learning the truth the hard way. 

Edited by Darkpriest667
  • Thanks 1

way too mu

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
GPU: ASRock 6900XT
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X570 Steel Legend
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3600C16D-32GVKC - Black
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 1000 W 80+ Gold
SSD/NVME: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 850 evo 1TB SATA SSD
CASE: Fractal Torrent ATX Mid tower
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Darkpriest667 said:

You ever run linux you'll never buy another Nvidia card again. Nvidia's proprietary driver BS makes them a pain in the butt on Linux, Yes their software AND drivers are actually better. I was spoon fed "muh Nvidia drivers better" for over 10 years before learning the truth the hard way. 

There's a reason there's a video of Linus Torvalds flipping the bird to Nvidia lol.

 

Yeah, I never understood it either Ultra. Absolutely looks like Windows XP still lol. It works, but could use a facelift.

  • Thanks 2

Owned

 Share

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k
GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix
RAM: Corsair 32GB DDR3-2400
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Deluxe
SSD/NVME: Crucial M550 512GB
HDD: 2x WD Black 3TB
PSU: Corsair AX750
CASE: Lian Li O11 Dynamic
Full Rig Info

Showcase

 Share

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 Ti Founders Edition
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4-3600
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
SSD/NVME: x2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX500 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM1000x
MONITOR: LG 48" C1
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW Social Media Manager
594 223
6 hours ago, UltraMega said:

Nvidia: 

nvidia-display-control-panel.png

 

 

AMD:

 

Screenshot 2022-04-02 140131.jpg

 

 

I don't get why Nvidia hasn't updated their control panel layout since I was a kid playing far cry 1 and BF1942. It works, but it looks like something from windows XP and it lacks basic features like doing updates. I know there is the GeForce Experience thing which will do updates and all that stuff but I always hate using that and being forced to sign in just to do basic things. AMD's control panel does pretty much everything GeForce Experience + The Nvidia Control Panel can do but all in one and without making you sign in, but actually does more because there are OC controls available among other things. Just something I've thought about ever since I got my current GPU with this is my first AMD card. 

 

Once AMD catches up with FSR 2.0 and smart upscaling is pretty ubiquitous and even enough to work well across the board, I feel like AMD will be operating on an even basis with Nvidia as far as support and features go. I've definitely been surprised by the quality of their drivers lately at the very least. People used to say AMD driver support was way behind Nvidia and I think that was true for a long time but from my experience that does not seem to be the case anymore. I definitely wouldn't hesitate to get an AMD card in the future for any software related reasons at this point.

As an enthusiast that used Eyefinity Surround VR and 4K 120hz

 

The nvidia panel is 10000x more stable than that piece of crap amd thing that crash and never hold any setting 😆

from 7950x2 crossfire to rx 480 rx 580 and now my 6800xt.

 I miss my 1070 😆

 

Ways overcomplicated going around the amd setting.

 

 

Remind me of Xfire and Raptr thing

Edited by bonami2
  • Thanks 1

Owned

 Share

MOTHERBOARD: Msi Z690 A
CPU: Intel 12700K P5.1 E4.1 U4.1 1.3V
RAM: OLOY + GSKILL 4x16 3600 Cl 14-14-14 Gear 2
PSU: Corsair RM1000X
GPU: Sapphire 6800XT
MONITOR: LG CX48 OLED
MONITOR 2: Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus (VR) OLED
CASE: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 5900HX
RAM: 2x16gb 32gb 3200mhz cl22 Timetec Dual Rank
GPU: RX 6800M 12GB
MONITOR: 1080P 300hz
SSD/NVME: WD SN850 2TB + SN770 1TB
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Diffident said:

It looks better in Linux.  Overclocking is still available in the Linux Nvidia Settings , but I don't have it activated.

 

spacer.png

 

 

2 hours ago, Diffident said:

 

 

 

Yeah, and AMD's is still better.1363015659_Screenshotfrom2022-04-0300-07-10.thumb.png.e327554ea0a70541a21275b046cc17a7.png

 

  • Thanks 1

way too mu

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
GPU: ASRock 6900XT
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X570 Steel Legend
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3600C16D-32GVKC - Black
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 1000 W 80+ Gold
SSD/NVME: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 850 evo 1TB SATA SSD
CASE: Fractal Torrent ATX Mid tower
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bonami2 said:

As an enthusiast that used Eyefinity Surround VR and 4K 120hz

 

The nvidia panel is 10000x more stable than that piece of crap amd thing that crash and never hold any setting 😆

from 7950x2 crossfire to rx 480 rx 580 and now my 6800xt.

 I miss my 1070 😆

 

Ways overcomplicated going around the amd setting.

 

 

Remind me of Xfire and Raptr thing

Interesting. I actually tried eyefinity recently to stretch a split screen game over two screens and I didn't have any issues. Haven't tried anything else yet but it seems to work well for me. 

  • Thanks 1

Owned

 Share

CPU: 3700x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3200 @3600
GPU: RX 6800
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW Content Creator
2 hours ago, UltraMega said:

Interesting. I actually tried eyefinity recently to stretch a split screen game over two screens and I didn't have any issues. Haven't tried anything else yet but it seems to work well for me. 

the problem with both camps is everyones had different experiences, i had a bad nvidia driver release destroy 2 brand new cards and a motherboard back in the G92 days. neither nvidia or evga would replace them after 2 weeks of ownership.

however the motherboard company who wasnt at fault did replace thier board, and i buy thier boards to this day because i got customer service

 

people get used to certain things on both sides, its a never ending topic where everyone is going to answer differently.

Edited by PCSarge
  • Thanks 1
  • Respect 1

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD R9 5950X
GPU: AMD RX 5700XT Reference
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
RAM: KIngston Fury X Black RGB 64GB 3600MHZ
SSD/NVME: Sabrent Rocket NVMe 500GB (Windows)
SSD/NVME 2: Crucial MX 500 2TB (Games)
SSD/NVME 3: Cruicial MX 300 1TB (File Storage)
SSD/NVME 4: WD Blue 1TB SATA M.2 (Backups/Downloads)
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Xeon 5345 @ 2.3GHZ
CPU 2: Xeon 5345 @ 2.3GHZ
MOTHERBOARD: Intel S5000PSL E-ATX
RAM: 32GB Hynix ECC DDR2 667Mhz
CPU COOLER: 2x Dynatron 2U Heatsinks
SSD/NVME: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
HDD: Seagate Firecuda Compute 2TB
OPERATING SYSTEM: Winodws Server 2019 Standard
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Granted the Driver Control Panel UI has not changed in a million years and you can get more with GF Experience (Which I avoid) as it seems like extra rubbish in my system BUT if something just works, why change it ? 

 

Putting Linux aside, on Windows the Nvidia Driver Control Panel is yet to ever break on me and in reality rather than using it in the RTX branding, they should have used "It just works" on their control panel. Nvidia has all the necessary functions in their control panel in a familiar layout and it works. Don't fix what isn't broken I say. I have however always been a function over form kinda guy.

 

I have nothing against the AMD control panel. It looks nice...that is the extent of my input on that. 

  • Thanks 2

£3000

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD 5950X (4.7Ghz CCD0 / 4.5Ghz CCD1)
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock X570 Aqua
RAM: TeamGroup T-FORCE XTREEM 4000Mhz 64GB (3800Mhz CL16)
GPU: EVGA 3090 FTW Ultra Gaming
SSD/NVME: Sabrent Rocket 4 Pro (2x 2TB, RAID 0)
PSU: EVGA Supernova T2 1600Watt
SOUNDCARD: Sound blaster Creative AE-9
CASE: be quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev 2
Full Rig Info

£200

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD RX-427BB
RAM: 16GB Corsair 1600MHZ DDR3L
SSD/NVME: WD Blue 250GB M.2 SATA SSD
NETWORK: Intel I350 -T4
CASE: HP Thin Client T730
Full Rig Info

£3000

Owned

 Share

CPU: 2 x Xeon|E5-2696-V4 (44C/88T)
RAM: 128GB|16 x 8GB - DDR4 2400MHz (2Rx8)
MOTHERBOARD: HP Z840|Intel C612 Chipset
GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2200
HDD: 4x 16TB Toshiba MG08ACA16TE Enterprise
SSD/NVME: Intel 512GB 670p NVMe
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 1TB 980 NVMe
SSD/NVME 3: 2x Seagate FireCuda 1TB SSD's
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Darkpriest667 said:

 

 

 

 

Yeah, and AMD's is still better.1363015659_Screenshotfrom2022-04-0300-07-10.thumb.png.e327554ea0a70541a21275b046cc17a7.png

 

That's radeon-profile, it's 3rd party, not AMD. CoreCtrl, another 3rd party, is more like the Windows app.   AMD is too lazy to make one for Linux, which is strange since their control panel on Windows is written in qt  Also they can't figure out how to get full OpenCL support working on all their GPU's for all distro's.  ROCm is only supported on a select few GPU's and it doesn't work with all OpenCL applications.

 

If we are counting 3rd party apps, there is GreenWithEnvy for Nvidia on Linux.

 

spacer.png

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW Social Media Manager
594 223
7 hours ago, UltraMega said:

Interesting. I actually tried eyefinity recently to stretch a split screen game over two screens and I didn't have any issues. Haven't tried anything else yet but it seems to work well for me. 

Nah setting those work fine and even crossfire is impressive at high resolution.

 

Their some benchmark of direct x 12 multigpu scaling with dual 6800xt. Fee game support it.

 

But the amd app for some reason hate me.

Set res to 4k 10bit 120hz. Install new driver. Default to 4k 8 bit 60hz cant change it. Move cable from tv port and it fixed itself like what?

Fan setting never stick for long.

 

I updated my hdmi cable to a real 2.1

And ddu

 

Am sure i can crash the app be just changing fan setting and res setting too many time 😆.

 

Maybe it a curse. 😆

 

Still like my 6800xt except some driver issue.

Owned

 Share

MOTHERBOARD: Msi Z690 A
CPU: Intel 12700K P5.1 E4.1 U4.1 1.3V
RAM: OLOY + GSKILL 4x16 3600 Cl 14-14-14 Gear 2
PSU: Corsair RM1000X
GPU: Sapphire 6800XT
MONITOR: LG CX48 OLED
MONITOR 2: Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus (VR) OLED
CASE: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 5900HX
RAM: 2x16gb 32gb 3200mhz cl22 Timetec Dual Rank
GPU: RX 6800M 12GB
MONITOR: 1080P 300hz
SSD/NVME: WD SN850 2TB + SN770 1TB
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Granted the Driver Control Panel UI has not changed in a million years and you can get more with GF Experience (Which I avoid) as it seems like extra rubbish in my system BUT if something just works, why change it ? 

 

Putting Linux aside, on Windows the Nvidia Driver Control Panel is yet to ever break on me and in reality rather than using it in the RTX branding, they should have used "It just works" on their control panel. Nvidia has all the necessary functions in their control panel in a familiar layout and it works. Don't fix what isn't broken I say. I have however always been a function over form kinda guy.

 

I have nothing against the AMD control panel. It looks nice...that is the extent of my input on that. 

With the AMD driver you get an in game overlay in which you can enable RSR or other settings, basically the whole control panel becomes an overlay. Definitely useful when adjusting settings. You would need gefore experience for that in the nvidia camp and still gefore experience has a lot fewer options in game. 

 

Nvidia control panel may not be broken but I think its missing some pretty major features.

Edited by UltraMega

Owned

 Share

CPU: 3700x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3200 @3600
GPU: RX 6800
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/04/2022 at 00:12, ArchStanton said:

I've only begun messing around with it (Radeon software).  Minor annoyance: needing to turn off their (data mining I think) "customer experience program" after each update.  Also, does it offer the ability to save multiple, or even better application specific, overclock profiles?  I notice it "runs home to momma" and defaults back to no overclock whatsoever any time any part of the system has a hiccup.  It would be nice to have specific one click profiles for various benchmarks/games.  It may have this functionality already and I am simply unaware, as I have not delved deeply into all the available settings yet.

As far as I know you can save application specific OC profiles. 

 

Go to global graphics and then you see all your installed applications. Select a game or application you want to tune and click on it. You can se all the graphical settings you can adjust for the app. There will be a wrench with the option "tune game performance". That will allow you yo adjust the clocks on a per profile basis I think. 

  • Respect 1

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X @ 4.65GHz (1T)/ 4.4GHZ (16T)
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro-Wifi
RAM: Avexir Core 2 3600MHz 18-20-20-38 1T C-Die
GPU: MSI Vega 64 Wave. (Vega 64 LC) 1770/1150
PSU: CoolerMaster V1300 Platinum
SSD/NVME: Muskin Pilot-E 1TB PCI-E 3.0
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
SSD/NVME 3: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/04/2022 at 10:22, PCSarge said:

the problem with both camps is everyones had different experiences, i had a bad nvidia driver release destroy 2 brand new cards and a motherboard back in the G92 days. neither nvidia or evga would replace them after 2 weeks of ownership.

however the motherboard company who wasnt at fault did replace thier board, and i buy thier boards to this day because i got customer service

 

people get used to certain things on both sides, its a never ending topic where everyone is going to answer differently.

Remember the dreaded 320.18? Bricking Kepler based 780s and titans? Damn. 

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X @ 4.65GHz (1T)/ 4.4GHZ (16T)
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro-Wifi
RAM: Avexir Core 2 3600MHz 18-20-20-38 1T C-Die
GPU: MSI Vega 64 Wave. (Vega 64 LC) 1770/1150
PSU: CoolerMaster V1300 Platinum
SSD/NVME: Muskin Pilot-E 1TB PCI-E 3.0
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
SSD/NVME 3: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 03/04/2022 at 06:06, bonami2 said:

As an enthusiast that used Eyefinity Surround VR and 4K 120hz

 

The nvidia panel is 10000x more stable than that piece of crap amd thing that crash and never hold any setting 😆

from 7950x2 crossfire to rx 480 rx 580 and now my 6800xt.

 I miss my 1070 😆

 

Ways overcomplicated going around the amd setting.

 

 

Remind me of Xfire and Raptr thing

That was a long long time ago. These days it almost always just works. 

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X @ 4.65GHz (1T)/ 4.4GHZ (16T)
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro-Wifi
RAM: Avexir Core 2 3600MHz 18-20-20-38 1T C-Die
GPU: MSI Vega 64 Wave. (Vega 64 LC) 1770/1150
PSU: CoolerMaster V1300 Platinum
SSD/NVME: Muskin Pilot-E 1TB PCI-E 3.0
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
SSD/NVME 3: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Remember the dreaded 320.18? Bricking Kepler based 780s and titans? Damn. 

Don't forget 196.75's that killed entire fleets of G92 cards......

BRIGHTSIDEOFNEWS.COM

Recently, nVidia posted a WHQL driver “Release 196.75”. The driver brought WHQL-certified support for nVidia ION, recently renamed...

 

Seriously, both sides have driver problems.  Pick whichever card fits your budget, has the features you want, and just be careful what drivers you use lol.  Goes for both sides of the fence.  I had experienced G92 failures with the above driver, and never again did I just blindly trust a driver on release from either company.  Lost too many cards that day.

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.3GHz, 1867MHz IF
AUDIO: Fosi Audio 300w Desktop Subwoofer Amp
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock B450M Pro 4
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) GSkill DDR4-3600 @ 3733, 16-19-19-39
GPU: Ref Powercolor RX 5700XT @ 2050 / 1800
SSD/NVME: 1TB Mushkin Enhanced Pilot-E NVME
SSD/NVME 2: 3x 2TB Crucial BX500 RAID0
PSU: Silverstone 850w Gold
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Phenom 9850
MOTHERBOARD: Asus M4A79 Deluxe
RAM: 8GB (4x2GB) Kingston HyperX DDR2-800
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire Dual X HD6970 2GB
SSD/NVME: Crucial BX500 240GB
HDD: 2x Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM RAID0
CPU COOLER: T.R.U.E. 120
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 5800x
GPU: MSI RX 6900XT Triple X
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX Gold 1000w
CPU COOLER: EKWB EK-AIO Basic 240mm
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power 512GB Gen3 NVME
HDD: 2x WD Black 2.5" 500GB RAID0
RAM: Mushkin Redline Black 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-4000
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, pioneerisloud said:

Don't forget 196.75's that killed entire fleets of G92 cards......

BRIGHTSIDEOFNEWS.COM

Recently, nVidia posted a WHQL driver “Release 196.75”. The driver brought WHQL-certified support for nVidia ION, recently renamed...

 

Seriously, both sides have driver problems.  Pick whichever card fits your budget, has the features you want, and just be careful what drivers you use lol.  Goes for both sides of the fence.  I had experienced G92 failures with the above driver, and never again did I just blindly trust a driver on release from either company.  Lost too many cards that day.

Well in all my years between amd and nvidia. Rankine's, Currie's, Tesla's in various G80 and GT200 flavours, Kepler's and Maxwells,  Evergreen's, Northern Islands, Pirate Islands and vega's. I've never had an AMD driver kill a card. I can confidently say that between my years of experience with both teams. Although during my G80 days I was still in school and was getting my driver updates off of DVD's that my local computer magazine (PC Format) had on their disks. So I probably missed 196.75. I also did not own a Kepler during 320.18 so I missed that one as well. But boy did OCN blow up when 320.18 came out I remember that. 😮

  • Thanks 1

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X @ 4.65GHz (1T)/ 4.4GHZ (16T)
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro-Wifi
RAM: Avexir Core 2 3600MHz 18-20-20-38 1T C-Die
GPU: MSI Vega 64 Wave. (Vega 64 LC) 1770/1150
PSU: CoolerMaster V1300 Platinum
SSD/NVME: Muskin Pilot-E 1TB PCI-E 3.0
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
SSD/NVME 3: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Alastair said:

Well in all my years between amd and nvidia. Rankine's, Currie's, Tesla's in various G80 and GT200 flavours, Kepler's and Maxwells,  Evergreen's, Northern Islands, Pirate Islands and vega's. I've never had an AMD driver kill a card. I can confidently say that between my years of experience with both teams. Although during my G80 days I was still in school and was getting my driver updates off of DVD's that my local computer magazine (PC Format) had on their disks. So I probably missed 196.75. I also did not own a Kepler during 320.18 so I missed that one as well. But boy did OCN blow up when 320.18 came out I remember that. 😮

Been running GPU's since GeForce 2 / Radeon 7000 days myself.  I too, have NEVER had an AMD / ATI driver flat out kill hardware.  That 196.75 driver did ruin probably about a dozen G92 cards in my house though back in roughly 2007 / 2008 when that driver released.

 

However, I DO have issues with "current" AMD drivers for legacy cards like the HD7970 and R9 290x.  They completely gimp perfectly capable older cards anymore.  That does kind of suck.  My 5700XT works beautifully though, as does my RX 580's.  I just find it frustrating a 290x doesn't work in 2022 with official drivers, but yet an R9 380 or 390 works just fine.  It's the same dang card! :lachen: GCN came out with the 7970.  There's no reason some GCN cards get updates and others don't when they're functionally the same.  Meh...youtubers rant about this enough as is though..... 🙂  Maybe AMD will change that with a future "final" driver.  I doubt it though.  I really probably should get off my butt and install the latest modded drivers for those cards on the systems they're in.  Supposedly the modded drivers make RDR2 and Crysis Remastered enjoyable on even a 7970.  By all means, it "should" be capable enough to play modern games (on low / medium). /rant

  • Thanks 1

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.3GHz, 1867MHz IF
AUDIO: Fosi Audio 300w Desktop Subwoofer Amp
MOTHERBOARD: ASRock B450M Pro 4
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) GSkill DDR4-3600 @ 3733, 16-19-19-39
GPU: Ref Powercolor RX 5700XT @ 2050 / 1800
SSD/NVME: 1TB Mushkin Enhanced Pilot-E NVME
SSD/NVME 2: 3x 2TB Crucial BX500 RAID0
PSU: Silverstone 850w Gold
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Phenom 9850
MOTHERBOARD: Asus M4A79 Deluxe
RAM: 8GB (4x2GB) Kingston HyperX DDR2-800
PSU: eVGA 600BQ
GPU: Sapphire Dual X HD6970 2GB
SSD/NVME: Crucial BX500 240GB
HDD: 2x Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM RAID0
CPU COOLER: T.R.U.E. 120
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 5800x
GPU: MSI RX 6900XT Triple X
PSU: Seasonic Focus GX Gold 1000w
CPU COOLER: EKWB EK-AIO Basic 240mm
MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
SSD/NVME: Silicon Power 512GB Gen3 NVME
HDD: 2x WD Black 2.5" 500GB RAID0
RAM: Mushkin Redline Black 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-4000
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, pioneerisloud said:

Been running GPU's since GeForce 2 / Radeon 7000 days myself.  I too, have NEVER had an AMD / ATI driver flat out kill hardware.  That 196.75 driver did ruin probably about a dozen G92 cards in my house though back in roughly 2007 / 2008 when that driver released.

 

However, I DO have issues with "current" AMD drivers for legacy cards like the HD7970 and R9 290x.  They completely gimp perfectly capable older cards anymore.  That does kind of suck.  My 5700XT works beautifully though, as does my RX 580's.  I just find it frustrating a 290x doesn't work in 2022 with official drivers, but yet an R9 380 or 390 works just fine.  It's the same dang card! :lachen: GCN came out with the 7970.  There's no reason some GCN cards get updates and others don't when they're functionally the same.  Meh...youtubers rant about this enough as is though..... 🙂  Maybe AMD will change that with a future "final" driver.  I doubt it though.  I really probably should get off my butt and install the latest modded drivers for those cards on the systems they're in.  Supposedly the modded drivers make RDR2 and Crysis Remastered enjoyable on even a 7970.  By all means, it "should" be capable enough to play modern games (on low / medium). /rant

Oh yes I agree with you. I was pretty shocked when I heard they were basically dropping everything from Fiji right the way through. It was pretty insane. I think Terascale had longer driver support than GCN 1-3.

Owned

 Share

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X @ 4.65GHz (1T)/ 4.4GHZ (16T)
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Aorus X570 Pro-Wifi
RAM: Avexir Core 2 3600MHz 18-20-20-38 1T C-Die
GPU: MSI Vega 64 Wave. (Vega 64 LC) 1770/1150
PSU: CoolerMaster V1300 Platinum
SSD/NVME: Muskin Pilot-E 1TB PCI-E 3.0
SSD/NVME 2: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
SSD/NVME 3: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This Website may place and access certain Cookies on your computer. ExtremeHW uses Cookies to improve your experience of using the Website and to improve our range of products and services. ExtremeHW has carefully chosen these Cookies and has taken steps to ensure that your privacy is protected and respected at all times. All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law. For more information please see our Privacy Policy