Jump to content

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW creating an account. 

 

Registered users can: 

  • Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

Job interview question that made no sense


Recommended Posts

I went to an interview with a computer repair company. I almost for sure wouldn't take the job because the pay is low but I was still curious so I went. They had me fill out a test and one of the questions/tasks was "set the time to list the operating system at 17 seconds". 

 

I'm sure this is something I could do but I don't get what that question was asking. Any ideas? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its talking about the boot manager I think. Say for instance you have two operating systems on your PC, everytime you boot you get an OS selection screen. This screen you can dictate how long it stays up before it makes an automatic selection. 

 

Either way, the question is ambiguous. Should be written differently. 

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Its talking about the boot manager I think. Say for instance you have two operating systems on your PC, everytime you boot you get an OS selection screen. This screen you can dictate how long it stays up before it makes an automatic selection. 

 

Either way, the question is ambiguous. Should be written differently. 

Yea, after thinking about it for a while later on, that was my best guess as well but didn't occur to me at the time. If it had just said "change the timeout setting for the 'select OS' menu" or something like that, that would have been much easier to understand. I definitely know how to do that... 

No loss though, it was a dumb job and I have a bunch more interviews scheduled. Kinda the first time in a long time I've looked for a job, been self-employed for a long time but covid messed that up. It's dope this time around because my resume is a lot better than it was the last time I was looking for a job so I'm getting a lot of offers and have the ability to be picky. I have an interview coming up for a way better job that really wants me so yea, things are looking good on that front. 

Edited by UltraMega
  • Respect 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had this one interview probably a decade ago when I was still in desktop support. The question wasn't even technical in nature. The manager asked something dumb about if certain trees only grew on the north side of the mountain because "reasons"? I don't recall the exact question unfortunately, but it was something like that.

 

I just looked at him and said, is this the question where you want my answer to be "I don't know, I'll have to look it up?" because if not, then that is a weird question.

 

Yeah I didn't get the job, but that was indeed the reason he asked it. I still think it was dumb. Better to ask me actual technically related questions and if you hit me with something I don't know, I'll tell you.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Sir Beregond said:

I had this one interview probably a decade ago when I was still in desktop support. The question wasn't even technical in nature. The manager asked something dumb about if certain trees only grew on the north side of the mountain because "reasons"? I don't recall the exact question unfortunately, but it was something like that.

 

I just looked at him and said, is this the question where you want my answer to be "I don't know, I'll have to look it up?" because if not, then that is a weird question.

 

Yeah I didn't get the job, but that was indeed the reason he asked it. I still think it was dumb. Better to ask me actual technically related questions and if you hit me with something I don't know, I'll tell you.

Yea, it felt like a lot of the questions were designed that way. It was a written test so there was no communication with another person about any of it in this case. I don't think a single question actually had anything to do with computer repair. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, UltraMega said:

Yea, it felt like a lot of the questions were designed that way. It was a written test so there was no communication with another person about any of it in this case. I don't think a single question actually had anything to do with computer repair. 

Oh interesting. Don't think I've ever had one of those, but I am also not really in technical roles anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This Website may place and access certain Cookies on your computer. ExtremeHW uses Cookies to improve your experience of using the Website and to improve our range of products and services. ExtremeHW has carefully chosen these Cookies and has taken steps to ensure that your privacy is protected and respected at all times. All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law. For more information please see our Privacy Policy