Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW creating an account. 

Registered users can: 

• Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

How to find a micro usb 3.0 male to sata adapter to adapt a micro usb 3.0 drive to sata?

HeyItsChris

How to find a micro usb 3.0 male to sata adapter to adapt a micro usb 3.0 drive to sata?

The drive I have is a micro usb 3.0 western digital black p10 game drive that doesn't have a sata interface at all just micro usb 3.0.  So I need to hook it up internally to a sata computer but need the adapter but I cannot find it.

Thanks

Premium Gold
221 198
5 hours ago, HeyItsChris said:

Thank you @The Pook Can you link me to a micro usb 3.0 male to sata adapter so I can plug the drive into a laptop internally?  Thanks

it likely doesn't exist. it doesn't make sense to convert a SATA -> USB -> SATA. even if it did exist, you're not going to fit it inside a laptop 

shuck the drive. 

• Respect 2

Premium Gold
221 198
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, HeyItsChris said:

It's a 4TB drive which is quite a nice drive but it's native micro usb 3.0, not sata.  So I need to go from micro usb 3.0 to sata.  Thanks if it doesn't exist thats fine.

the drive inside the enclosure is SATA, the enclosure converts it to USB. you're then wanting to convert that to SATA. that's SATA to USB to SATA.

Watch the video I linked, I even put in a timestamp to the relevant part. 

Edited by The Pook
  • Thanks 1
  • Respect 2

1 hour ago, HeyItsChris said:

It's a 4TB drive which is quite a nice drive but it's native micro usb 3.0, not sata.  So I need to go from micro usb 3.0 to sata.  Thanks if it doesn't exist thats fine.

Agree with The Pook. The drive inside is already SATA. Just take the drive out of the enclosure. The enclosure is what is converting it to micro USB.

• Thanks 2

Premium Gold
221 198
Posted (edited)

swapping a PCB is easier than swapping platters but you'd need to find a PCB from an identical drive with only SATA and pretty sure you won't. 

I found this:

WWW.EBAY.COM

G_SLIM_JMS578 REV 1.0 141006 (Printed on the circuit board). Location: E30. all original parts and accessories. Parts are not to be removed or swapped. We scan all bar-codes on hard drives and PCB's...

but you'd need a male to male USB cable and it'd make more sense just to get another drive at that price (and assuming it'd even work). 

Edited by The Pook

Posted (edited)

PS - I wanna transfer some games to the drive for my friend but it's not getting detected on opteron rig or ryzen rig but it gets detected on my friends ryzen laptop.

Any way to fix this?  I have a usb fix tool here but it didn't seem to fix it...

Update

I swapped the cable & it got detected.  Weird.

usboblivion-1.17.0.0.zip

Edited by HeyItsChris

Posted (edited)

Ok that picture helped a lot, and I am a bit surprised its not a regular SATA drive in an enclosure. Ah well.

So are you trying to convert it into a regular SATA drive you can use internally? You'd probably have to daisy chain a USB 3.0 micro b male to USB 3.0 a female adapter and then can use a USB 3.0 to SATA adapter, otherwise swap out the PCB for a SATA one, if that's a thing.

Edited by Sir Beregond
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Yeah true but a conversion might be interesting to try.

So it's micro type b usb 3.0 connection.  I learned something new.  Thanks.

It's too bad this won't work.  

EBAY.TO

Designed for mounting a hard disk over USB. This will NOT enable mounting a USB drive as a hard disk. USB port: USB 3.0. Support hot swapping, plug and play. With LED light display, easy to operate.

Edited by HeyItsChris