Jump to content

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW creating an account. 

 

Registered users can: 

  • Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

12700k + 4x16gb dual rank samsung booted once at 3600 c14 gear 1 now only gear 2


bonami2
 Share

Recommended Posts

EHW News Editor
342 129

Hello wondering if anyone as any trick or can help me out. Just got a second set of ram one is a gskill and one is a oloy both are dual rank samsung by cpu z.

 

3600 cl14 - 14 - 14 1.45v for both.

 

My setup:

 

12700k

MSI Z690A ddr4

2x16 oloy + 2x16 Gskill

 

First boot with the second set failed then i enabled XMP and tried many time to boot then got it to boot at 3600 gear 1 at 1.4v vccsa and 1.5v ram all the rest is stock.

 

Tried some occt ram and other mem app and everything was running fine even rebooted without issue then i tried to reboot and lower vccsa and it never wanted to boot again at gear 1 even with vccsa at 1.45 and ram at 1.52.

 

 I can boot at default xmp gear 2 without any issue for some reason.  But can't even boot at 3000mhz cl14 - 14 -14 at 1.40v vccsa and 1.5v ram

 

Just looking the most performance for gaming and my BOINC / [email protected] task.

 

Kinda lost here seem like a software issue or maybe the memory learning option i can't understand what it does.

 

Thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EHW News Editor
342 129

Fixed!!!

 

Running XMP at 1.55v ram and 1.4 vccsa and gear 2 to boot then rebooting and switching to gear 1 work most of the time.

Memory learning seem to be the issue. Maybe memory try it can help.

 

Running at gear 1 without issue

Link to comment
Share on other sites

glad got that figured out.  I'm still playing around with mine to see if I can get 3800mhz to boot... it'll post, but it's not stable, even in bios.  I haven't tried the "safe" timings yet from the dram calculator, but the way it acts... I kinda think it's the infinity fabric losing stability... IDK, new to this level or ram speed.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/05/2022 at 20:59, Minotaurtoo said:

glad got that figured out.  I'm still playing around with mine to see if I can get 3800mhz to boot... it'll post, but it's not stable, even in bios.  I haven't tried the "safe" timings yet from the dram calculator, but the way it acts... I kinda think it's the infinity fabric losing stability... IDK, new to this level or ram speed.

Not stable at the end. Just started some Sidock work instead of rosetta and it started failing gpu and cpu render.

 

Will go back to gear 2 at stock vccsa and ram voltage. Maybe i can overclock it further but i think the imc is going insane with those 4 stick

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Minotaurtoo said:

well drat... that's ram for you.  I found out that my board apparently has a memory frequency hole at 3800mhz.  I looked at the memory support page for it and the supported memory goes from 3733 to 3866. not one kit of 3800 listed.

Seem like they have a hard time making those work.

 

I need to do more testing but am lazy for now gear 2 seem to run at stock xmp. DDR4 was out for so long and they never figured how to make 4 stick stable at high clock 😐

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bonami2 said:

Seem like they have a hard time making those work.

 

I need to do more testing but am lazy for now gear 2 seem to run at stock xmp. DDR4 was out for so long and they never figured how to make 4 stick stable at high clock 😐

I managed to get a good boot on 3733 and a not so stable boot on 4000 so yeah, must be a hole in what this board can handle... but strangely I have to decouple the memory controller from the IF to do it for either with leads to lower performance... so far 3600 with tight timings is king... I think it's just a board limitation, might try swapping to the other memory slots to see if they work better... board traces may be crossing over or leaking.  As for your 4 stick issue, the most I was ever able to get out of 4 sticks stable was 3200 in gear 1... never tried gear 2 to see if that would help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Minotaurtoo said:

I managed to get a good boot on 3733 and a not so stable boot on 4000 so yeah, must be a hole in what this board can handle... but strangely I have to decouple the memory controller from the IF to do it for either with leads to lower performance... so far 3600 with tight timings is king... I think it's just a board limitation, might try swapping to the other memory slots to see if they work better... board traces may be crossing over or leaking.  As for your 4 stick issue, the most I was ever able to get out of 4 sticks stable was 3200 in gear 1... never tried gear 2 to see if that would help.

Was not able to really play with my setting since it do not even boot at stock xmp at 3000mhz at gear 1 for some reason.

Some board are better than other  am currently working on a 990fx with 2400 ddr3 ram and that thing do not even boot at higher than 800mhz the ram is probably shot got it used or the motherboard is not liking it.

 

Kinda fun playing with ram since we can't really do anything with newer cpu and gpu!

That why i got that 990fx and some old amd cpu to have some overclocking fun.

Just ain't got the time sadly to do that. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This Website may place and access certain Cookies on your computer. ExtremeHW uses Cookies to improve your experience of using the Website and to improve our range of products and services. ExtremeHW has carefully chosen these Cookies and has taken steps to ensure that your privacy is protected and respected at all times. All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law. For more information please see our Privacy Policy