Jump to content

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple FREE process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW creating an account. 

 

Registered users can: 

  • Start new topics and reply to others.
  • Show off your PC using our Rig Creator feature.
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get updates.
  • Get your own profile page to customize.
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.
  • Upgrade to Premium to unlock additional sites features.
IGNORED

EU launches in-depth probe of Microsoft’s proposed Activision Blizzard acquisition


Recommended Posts

Social Media Manager
780 344
Quote

As expected, following its initial inquiries into the $68.7 billion deal, the European watchdog said on Tuesday that it had opened a ‘phase II’ investigation due to competition concerns.

“The Commission is concerned that the proposed acquisition may reduce competition in the markets for the distribution of console and personal computers (‘PCs’) video games and for PC operating systems,” it said.

WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

More detailed inquiry opened amid competition concerns…

 

Edited by bonami2

Owned

 Share

MOTHERBOARD: Msi Z690 A
CPU: Intel 13900k
RAM: OLOY @1.55v 2x16 4000 Cl 14-14-14-34 Gear 1 2T TRFC 275 TREFI 19K
PSU: Corsair RM1000X
GPU: Sapphire 6800XT
MONITOR: LG CX48 OLED
MONITOR 2: Samsung HMD Odyssey Plus (VR) OLED
CASE: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Full Rig Info

Owned

 Share

CPU: Ryzen 5900HX
RAM: 2x16gb 32gb 3200mhz cl22 Timetec Dual Rank
GPU: RX 6800M 12GB
MONITOR: 1080P 300hz
SSD/NVME: WD SN850 2TB + SN770 1TB
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 09/11/2022 at 01:02, schuck6566 said:

"and for PC operating systems"  Ok, Now I'm at a loss. Are they gonna say the same thing when Sony goes to buy a company that makes games for pc also? THAT would seem more likely to me....

Quote

 

Edited by Diffident
w.t.f edit is broken
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Lets try again.

 

On 09/11/2022 at 01:02, schuck6566 said:

"and for PC operating systems"  Ok, Now I'm at a loss. Are they gonna say the same thing when Sony goes to buy a company that makes games for pc also? THAT would seem more likely to me....

 

I'm guessing they would if they spent $69 billion on the company they purchase.

 

Quote

In particular, the Commission is concerned that Microsoft may reduce the ability of rival providers of PC operating systems to compete with Microsoft’s operating system Windows, by combining Activision Blizzard’s games and Microsoft’s distribution of games via cloud game streaming to Windows. This would discourage users to buy non-Windows PCs.

 

Seems Like the EU is classifying consoles as PCs.  I doubt they're talking about Linux when mentioning "non-Windows PCs."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sure MS would be more than happy to put game pass on PlayStation. Sony will still be a larger gaming company than Microsoft's gaming division. The EU has no case at. This whole thing is being so over-hyped by regulators and people who have probably never played a video game in their lives. 

Owned

 Share

CPU: 5800x
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus
RAM: XMP 3200mhz CL16
GPU: RX 6800
SOUNDCARD: Sound Blaster Z 5.1 home theater
MONITOR: 4K 65 inch TV
Full Rig Info
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, UltraMega said:

I'm sure MS would be more than happy to put game pass on PlayStation. Sony will still be a larger gaming company than Microsoft's gaming division. The EU has no case at. This whole thing is being so over-hyped by regulators and people who have probably never played a video game in their lives. 

Meanwhile.....

WWW.GAMEBYTE.COM

Forspoken will be a PlayStation 5 exclusive for over two years. Sony has confirmed the news in a recent PS5 trailer.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 13/11/2022 at 08:52, schuck6566 said:

Meanwhile.....

WWW.GAMEBYTE.COM

Forspoken will be a PlayStation 5 exclusive for over two years. Sony has confirmed the news in a recent PS5 trailer.

 

 

The Epic game store business plan is contagious apparently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Diffident said:

 

The Epic game store business plan is contagious apparently.

Really??? I'll just run 1 example by in argument against that, The Uncharted Franchise....

Epic Game store launched in 2018,

The First Uncharted game launched in 2007, Finally in 2022 Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection, a remastered version of A Thief's End and The Lost Legacy, was released for PlayStation 5 and Windows PC.

Sony's been at it longer than Epic

Screenshot_762.jpg

Edited by schuck6566
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, schuck6566 said:

Really??? I'll just run 1 example by in argument against that, The Uncharted Franchise....

Epic Game store launched in 2018,

The First Uncharted game launched in 2007, Finally in 2022 Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection, a remastered version of A Thief's End and The Lost Legacy, was released for PlayStation 5 and Windows PC.

Sony's been at it longer than Epic

Screenshot_762.jpg

 

But none of those games were on another platform first, then bought by Sony and then taken off of other platforms, which is the fear of Microsoft buying Activision, since Microsoft has said in the past that Microsoft content would eventually be exclusive to their platform.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/11/2022 at 05:13, Diffident said:

 

But none of those games were on another platform first, then bought by Sony and then taken off of other platforms, which is the fear of Microsoft buying Activision, since Microsoft has said in the past that Microsoft content would eventually be exclusive to their platform.

lol, Seriously? Naughty Dog,The company that made Uncharted and The Last of Us series "Naughty Dog, LLC is an American first-party video game developer based in Santa Monica, California. Founded by Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin in 1984, the studio was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment in 2001." Still wanna talk about Corp's buying gaming studio's and making their content exclusive to their own platforms?

Edit: Oh wait! Let's blame Microsoft for Blizzard games not being available already.... I wonder how this will get worked into the Sony scare tactics? Did MS put Blizzard up to it?

WWW.GAMEDEVELOPER.COM

Blizzard is splitting with Chinese licensing partner NetEase and will be suspending most Blizzard game services in mainland China as a result.

 

Edited by schuck6566
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 17/11/2022 at 00:52, schuck6566 said:

lol, Seriously? Naughty Dog,The company that made Uncharted and The Last of Us series "Naughty Dog, LLC is an American first-party video game developer based in Santa Monica, California. Founded by Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin in 1984, the studio was acquired by Sony Computer Entertainment in 2001." Still wanna talk about Corp's buying gaming studio's and making their content exclusive to their own platforms?

Edit: Oh wait! Let's blame Microsoft for Blizzard games not being available already.... I wonder how this will get worked into the Sony scare tactics? Did MS put Blizzard up to it?

WWW.GAMEDEVELOPER.COM

Blizzard is splitting with Chinese licensing partner NetEase and will be suspending most Blizzard game services in mainland China as a result.

 

The games you listed were never on another platform.  I get it, being a Linux guy, I don't like it either, but trying to justify Microsoft's purchase of Activision by using a "whataboutism" isn't the way to go.  If you don't like Sony doing it, then you shouldn't like Microsoft doing it either.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This Website may place and access certain Cookies on your computer. ExtremeHW uses Cookies to improve your experience of using the Website and to improve our range of products and services. ExtremeHW has carefully chosen these Cookies and has taken steps to ensure that your privacy is protected and respected at all times. All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law. For more information please see our Privacy Policy