Jump to content
*Coming November/December* Signature Rigs & Content Embed Wizard (Google Docs,Soundcloud,Spotify & More) ×
*Coming December* EHW Marketplace ×

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.

Recommended Posts

Not sure how many folks here have a 3D printer, but I imagine there must be a few. Currently printing something very uninteresting on my Ender 3, but I'll take a pic and post it with an explanation when it finishes in another day or two.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...

Alright so it's been a hot minute and not only did I forget about this thread, but I also went idle with my printer for a few months. Got back up and running last week and I'm having some annoying issues. Almost seems like my bed is warped; either my bed is too close to the extruder in the center and has good adhesion in the surrounding area, or the first few layers aren't squished in the center but the first two or three layers a little bit outside of that don't stick.

 

Any new 3D printers join EHW with the recent influx of members? Suggestions?

 

I did successfully print Leia's blaster for a friend as a Halloween costume prop but never got a picture of it before I gave it to her. :doh:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's my latest print.  My transmitter was delivered today and I got it running for the first time......and it's already covered in dog hair. 😄

 

It was printed in mostly Atomic Filament CF-PETG with some parts being Colorfabb XF-CF20.  I still need a parallel cable so I can hook up both batteries.

 

PXL_20201103_235826473.thumb.jpg.15c00286f00dbcb6bc9b585bbbdae310.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Diffident said:

Here's my latest print.  My transmitter was delivered today and I got it running for the first time......and it's already covered in dog hair. 😄

 

It was printed in mostly Atomic Filament CF-PETG with some parts being Colorfabb XF-CF20.  I still need a parallel cable so I can hook up both batteries.

 

PXL_20201103_235826473.thumb.jpg.15c00286f00dbcb6bc9b585bbbdae310.jpg

 

Sweet! I'd love to do a printed RC car eventually. I'd have a great time trying to design custom parts, only to realize they probably aren't as good haha. How much did the electronics cost you for a fully functioning car?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

That's pretty awesome @Diffident!
I would love to be able to 3d print whatever I need, maybe some day.. :classic_smile:

 

Barrier for entry into 3D printing is actually pretty low in the grand scheme of things. The Ender 3 is typically the go-to budget/entry-level printer and it goes for $200-250. Very capable, healthy print volume, but it just doesn't have an "luxury" features to keep it simple. And in some ways, you could argue that's a good thing, as it forces you to learn to do some things manually from the start.

 

Really easy to learn how to set up, but if you want to make your own designs, getting CAD sorted is another story. If you're familiar with CAD though and have some software at your disposal, you can just save as an .stl and you're good to go, extremely simple.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Supercrumpet said:

 

Sweet! I'd love to do a printed RC car eventually. I'd have a great time trying to design custom parts, only to realize they probably aren't as good haha. How much did the electronics cost you for a fully functioning car?

I'm not sure how much.  I'm guessing I could have bought an RC car for less than what it cost to print one.  I know i spent over $100 on packs of different size screws from McMaster-Carr.  I started printing 3 different ones so I went through about 3 rolls of filament and the filament I used isn't cheap.  Plus I have a bunch of left over bearings and other parts. 

 

I have a Prusa i3 MK3S that I upgraded with a Bondtech extruder and a Slice Engineering Mosquito hot end. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Diffident said:

I'm not sure how much.  I'm guessing I could have bought an RC car for less than what it cost to print one.  I know i spent over $100 on packs of different size screws from McMaster-Carr.  I started printing 3 different ones so I went through about 3 rolls of filament and the filament I used isn't cheap.  Plus I have a bunch of left over bearings and other parts. 

 

I have a Prusa i3 MK3S that I upgraded with a Bondtech extruder and a Slice Engineering Mosquito hot end. 

 

 

 

Interesting, thanks for the info. That's good stuff to take into consideration.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2020 at 12:03 AM, Diffident said:

Here's my latest print.  My transmitter was delivered today and I got it running for the first time......and it's already covered in dog hair. 😄

 

It was printed in mostly Atomic Filament CF-PETG with some parts being Colorfabb XF-CF20.  I still need a parallel cable so I can hook up both batteries.

 

PXL_20201103_235826473.thumb.jpg.15c00286f00dbcb6bc9b585bbbdae310.jpg

That is awesome, one day I will get a 3D printer but haven't as my personal use cases would be minimal. I do have CAD sorted (SOLIDWORKS man here) lol. Should charge for freelancing :p

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This Website may place and access certain Cookies on your computer. ExtremeHW uses Cookies to improve your experience of using the Website and to improve our range of products and services. ExtremeHW has carefully chosen these Cookies and has taken steps to ensure that your privacy is protected and respected at all times. All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law. For more information please see our Privacy Policy