*Coming Soon* Signature Rigs & Content Embed Wizard (Google Docs,Soundcloud,Spotify & More) ×

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.

So, who's bought a new 5700XT?

Just got my 5700XT up and running. I bought it a few months ago, but the drivers were a mess, so I pulled it and set it aside while I waited for a more stable kernel driver.

If anyone is contemplating running this card in Linux, you are definitely going to want to run the latest 5.5 rc kernel along with the most recent Linux firmware. Before the latest kernel the card couldn't be OC'd in Linux, and it had all sorts of bugs that caused random and somewhat frequent crashes. I've now had it up and running without crashing for the last three days.

It is stable at 2085/900 under heavy OpenCL stress testing. There is still no ROCm support (that stack is generally a bit of a mess to run with upstream kernels anyway), and generally speaking, OpenCL code paths and/or AMD's OpenCL driver will probably have to be updated to be completely for compatible with Navi. I haven't done any 3D or game testing, but I might fire it up if anyone is interested in Linux performance.

Just got my 5700XT up and running. I bought it a few months ago, but the drivers were a mess, so I pulled it and set it aside while I waited for a more stable kernel driver.

If anyone is contemplating running this card in Linux, you are definitely going to want to run the latest 5.5 rc kernel along with the most recent Linux firmware. Before the latest kernel the card couldn't be OC'd in Linux, and it had all sorts of bugs that caused random and somewhat frequent crashes. I've now had it up and running without crashing for the last three days.

It is stable at 2085/900 under heavy OpenCL stress testing. There is still no ROCm support (that stack is generally a bit of a mess to run with upstream kernels anyway), and generally speaking, OpenCL code paths and/or AMD's OpenCL driver will probably have to be updated to be completely for compatible with Navi. I haven't done any 3D or game testing, but I might fire it up if anyone is interested in Linux performance.

@tictoc out of interest what are the temps like under load on that GPU with your OC ? Is it air cooled ? Just wondering as AMD have not done all too well as of late with toasty GPU's.

GPU is a reference model with the blower fan.

Running some stress tests now using OpenMM (molecular modeling tool-set) I'll report back in a bit once the tests are done.

5700XT @ 2050core/875mem 75% Fan

Edge Temp (avg) | 78°C

Junction Temp (avg) | 102°C

Memory Temp (avg) | 80°C

Power (avg) | 216W

Load (avg) | 98%

Edited by tictoc
GPU is a reference model with the blower fan.

Running some stress tests now using OpenMM (molecular modeling tool-set) I'll report back in a bit once the tests are done.

5700XT @ 2050core/875mem 75% Fan

[TABLE=border: 2, cellpadding: 2]

[TR]

[TD]Edge Temp (avg)[/TD]

[TD]78°C[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Junction Temp (avg)[/TD]

[TD]102°C[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Memory Temp (avg)[/TD]

[TD]80°C[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Power (avg)[/TD]

[TD]216W[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Load (avg)[/TD]

[TD]98%[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Thanks for the info. Those temps seem fair considering its a reference design and using the blower type cooler. If it keeps to those temps under sustained load, it is not as toasty as I thought it may be. Will have to look at some reviews for non ref cooler types to compare the temps.

It didn't throttle at 75% fan speed, but at that speed it is probably louder than most people would want deal with. It was getting nice cool ambient air (16°C), because the blower sits right on top of the bottom vents on my case. The posted temps was where it leveled out after 10-11 minutes of sustained load. Gaming you could probably get away with lower fan speed, and not lock the boost clocks at max OC.

Edited by tictoc
  • 9 months later...