Jump to content
*Coming Soon* Signature Rigs & Content Embed Wizard (Google Docs,Soundcloud,Spotify & More) ×

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.

Build Log: The Manhattan Project


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks again, everyone     Actually, given their price (roughly US $4 each), it is. der8auer recently ruined an expensive ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming motherboard and felt that the main

First, why muffler bearings? ...because I was going around in circles for quite some time and finally decided what I really want to do. That's not really why though, just a simple statement of fact

The Manhattan Project is a combination of a cooling tower/control panel called Muffler Bearings, a multi-purpose test bench, and Nights in White Satin (a white CaseLabs SMA8 build which can be hooked

Posted Images

12 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

That is nice man. Not being much of a camera man, I did not think you could take over the camera functions wirelessly. What a bonus that is. Love the arm setup for the camera as well, that is just ace. So has this bench been powered up yet ? 

 

Yeah, I've been around analog and digital cameras and both black&white and color darkrooms for a long time now, since the early '70s, and have picked up a lot of tricks over the years. 

 

As for whether the bench has powered up yet, Initial tests on the X299 bench in the rear have been completed on air and I'll be getting it ready for water in conjunction with the SR-3/3647 and Z490 builds (which I still need to test on air). I hope to have all the water-free testing done by sometime next week so that I can move into water and put the "Muffler Bearings" control panel through its paces under full load. 

 

11 hours ago, schuck6566 said:

SWEET! Although I gotta admit when I saw that massive cooler under the camera my first though was "Finally! Someones gonna disprove the twin towers conspiracy theories!" :)

 

If you think that cooler is big now, wait until I attach the dual fans. ;)  It is big though, and blocks the two nearest ram slots.

 

7 hours ago, Bastiaan_NL said:

That is pretty cool! I can't wait for those sexy pics :classic_biggrin:

Would be funny to try climbing a ladder and use the camera that way, just don't fall on the hardware... 

 

...which reminds me of the cpu der8auer dropped on the motherboard socket in the video I posted earlier. Believe me when I say that I was extra careful dangling that camera above the board in that picture. 

 

Once I get the "from above" shots done, I'll move the camera to a tripod which will make taking pix far more convenient (and far less nerve wracking). 

 

 

Edited by iamjanco
minor edits
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

Also looking forward to the finished product photos !

 

Just make sure the neighbours don't get the wrong idea 😉 

 

  Reveal hidden contents

iaj_guil.thumb.jpg.478696a1297d15fcd999a84680815465.jpg

 

 

I'd think the dimming lights and buzzing sounds probably arouse their suspicions more ;) Some of the grid here in these parts likely dates back to the time Edison was playing with tungsten threads.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, iamjanco said:

 

Yeah, I've been around analog and digital cameras and both black&white and color darkrooms for a long time now, since the early '70s, and have picked up a lot of tricks over the years. 

 

As for whether the bench has powered up yet, Initial tests on the X299 bench in the rear have been completed on air and I'll be getting it ready for water in conjunction with the SR-3/3647 and Z490 builds (which I still need to test on air). I hope to have all the water-free testing done by sometime next week so that I can move into water and put the "Muffler Bearings" control panel through its paces under full load. 

 

 

If you think that cooler is big now, wait until I attach the dual fans. ;)  It is big though, and blocks the two nearest ram slots.

 

 

...which reminds me of the cpu der8auer dropped on the motherboard socket in the video I posted earlier. Believe me when I say that I was extra careful dangling that camera above the board in that picture. 

 

Once I get the "from above" shots done, I'll move the camera to a tripod which will make taking pix far more convenient (and far less nerve wracking). 

 

 

Nice, I look forward to seeing that beast running under WC. You are not alone, anything that dangles over my equipment, no matter how secured always gives me shivers down my spine .

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2020 at 8:34 PM, iamjanco said:

 

I'd think the dimming lights and buzzing sounds probably arouse their suspicions more ;) Some of the grid here in these parts likely dates back to the time Edison was playing with tungsten threads.

 

You might have already covered that but have you figured out what GPU(s) to use, or do you plan to mount a temporary one until AMD, NV (& Intel Xe?) spring their latest workstation/prosumer offerings ?

 

BTW, AMD 6800 looks very good ...and AMD 6900 might be mega...

  

  

Edited by J7SC_Orion
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll be 

2 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

 

You might have already covered that but have you figured out what GPU(s) to use, or do you plan to mount a temporary one until AMD, NV (& Intel Xe?) spring their latest workstation/prosumer offerings ?

 

BTW, AMD 6800 looks very good ...and AMD 6900 might be mega...

  

  

 

I'll be using a 2080ti until I decide what I want to do about the new gpu releases. Things gpu-wise are so much up in the air right now that I feel patience is the best recourse; and it'll probably be 2021 before I make any decisions about them. 

 

They are looking pretty good though.

 

I'm also considering the new AMD CPUs and I've been keeping my eye on them as well. Adding them to my growing collection is certainly not out of the question.

 

In any event, just got done moving the temp sensors from the hose connections up front of the Mora 420s, to the unused ports in their rear. Makes for cleaner/better cable runs to the temp inputs on the AQ6XT.

 

I'll add a pic or two of that work tomorrow.

 

As for the SR-3 CPU mounting, the fixed 12.5 in-lbs torque driver showed up, but I didn't realize I'd need an adapter to use my 1/4 inch bits, so I had to order that adapter. It should be here the beginning of next week.

 

 

Edited by iamjanco
minor edits
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, iamjanco said:

I'll be 

 

I'll be using a 2080ti until I decide what I want to do about the new gpu releases. Things gpu-wise are so much up in the air right now that I feel patience is the best recourse; and it'll probably be 2021 before I make any decisions about them. 

 

They are looking pretty good though.

 

I'm also considering the new AMD CPUs and I've been keeping my eye on them as well. Adding them to my growing collection is certainly not out of the question.

 

In any event, just got done moving the temp sensors from the hose connections up front of the Mora 420s, to the unused ports in their rear. Makes for cleaner/better cable runs to the temp inputs on the AQ6XT.

 

I'll add a pic or two of that work tomorrow.

 

As for the SR-3 CPU mounting, the fixed 12.5 in-lbs torque driver showed up, but I didn't realize I'd need an adapter to use my 1/4 inch bits, so I had to order that adapter. It should be here the beginning of next week.

 

 

There is always something ! Just when you think you have everything lol. 

 

As for the GPU, I would recommend waiting until 2021. Not only will the Nvidia 3000 series be getting a blatant refresh, even more if that only means going to TSMC 7nm, but the new AMD GPU offerings will have had time to air as well. Im not buying till 2021 for these reasons...that and im saving specifically for a 3090 at this point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, iamjanco said:

I'll be 

 

I'll be using a 2080ti until I decide what I want to do about the new gpu releases. Things gpu-wise are so much up in the air right now that I feel patience is the best recourse; and it'll probably be 2021 before I make any decisions about them. 

 

They are looking pretty good though.

 

I'm also considering the new AMD CPUs and I've been keeping my eye on them as well. Adding them to my growing collection is certainly not out of the question.

 

In any event, just got done moving the temp sensors from the hose connections up front of the Mora 420s, to the unused ports in their rear. Makes for cleaner/better cable runs to the temp inputs on the AQ6XT.

 

I'll add a pic or two of that work tomorrow.

 

As for the SR-3 CPU mounting, the fixed 12.5 in-lbs torque driver showed up, but I didn't realize I'd need an adapter to use my 1/4 inch bits, so I had to order that adapter. It should be here the beginning of next week.

 

 

 

6 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

There is always something ! Just when you think you have everything lol. 

 

As for the GPU, I would recommend waiting until 2021. Not only will the Nvidia 3000 series be getting a blatant refresh, even more if that only means going to TSMC 7nm, but the new AMD GPU offerings will have had time to air as well. Im not buying till 2021 for these reasons...that and im saving specifically for a 3090 at this point. 

 

It makes perfect sense to wait until earlyish 2021 (it must be perfect coz that's what I'm planning to do 😉 ). AMD's 6000 series (6800, 6900) looks really interesting - and if they can get their drivers sorted / matured, so much the better.  In fact, I hope they'll bring out a dual GPU / single PCB card again...we had a 7990 in the office back in the day, and it was a compute / render monster for the standards at the time. A nice, dual 6900 big Navi - hmmm, yummy. Of course, it will be pulling a gazillion watts, but I reside in an area where 97% of our power is renewable (hydro). Personally, I also hope to see the Manhattan project will run two of those dual GPU '6999' to live up to its name ! 

 

As to NVidia RTX 3K and 'Quadro equivalent', there seems to have been a change in plans re. 'early' switch-over to TSMC 7nm, good for them - bad for early RTX 3090 Samsung 8nm adopters . All we need now is Intel to hurry it up with its tile Xe mGPU, and then the higher-end / pro-sumer market has some real competition it lacked for so long...

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, J7SC_Orion said:

 

 

It makes perfect sense to wait until earlyish 2021 (it must be perfect coz that's what I'm planning to do 😉 ). AMD's 6000 series (6800, 6900) looks really interesting - and if they can get their drivers sorted / matured, so much the better.  In fact, I hope they'll bring out a dual GPU / single PCB card again...we had a 7990 in the office back in the day, and it was a compute / render monster for the standards at the time. A nice, dual 6900 big Navi - hmmm, yummy. Of course, it will be pulling a gazillion watts, but I reside in an area where 97% of our power is renewable (hydro). Personally, I also hope to see the Manhattan project will run two of those dual GPU '6999' to live up to its name ! 

 

As to NVidia RTX 3K and 'Quadro equivalent', there seems to have been a change in plans re. 'early' switch-over to TSMC 7nm, good for them - bad for early RTX 3090 Samsung 8nm adopters . All we need now is Intel to hurry it up with its tile Xe mGPU, and then the higher-end / pro-sumer market has some real competition it lacked for so long...

Great minds and all that. A dual GPU could be interesting, assuming they overcome microstutter as was seen in the past I think I that is a concern, at least from the gamers viewpoint. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Great minds and all that. A dual GPU could be interesting, assuming they overcome microstutter as was seen in the past I think I that is a concern, at least from the gamers viewpoint. 

 

Hopefully, AMD's engineers are smart and read mGPU CFR stuff at EHW - no microstutter w/ CFR..."I want my MtvGPU"

  

mGPUmtv.jpg.e11b48874f19bc3f40e33cdffd0dd393.jpg

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This Website may place and access certain Cookies on your computer. ExtremeHW uses Cookies to improve your experience of using the Website and to improve our range of products and services. ExtremeHW has carefully chosen these Cookies and has taken steps to ensure that your privacy is protected and respected at all times. All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law. For more information please see our Privacy Policy