*Coming Soon* Signature Rigs & Content Embed Wizard (Google Docs,Soundcloud,Spotify & More) ×

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.

Might as well start here. I just recently got back into the enthusiast end of the spectrum and want to overclock my setup moderately. The last time I futzed with OCing was back with my i7 920. I don't see a reason for me, personally, to go out and buy new CPU/Mobo when I really don't need to do so.  

So my setup:
i7 8700K
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming
4 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz C15
2020-10-09-000628.png2020-10-09-000841.png2020-10-09-000853.png

I'm rusty, where should I start. Any ideal places to start and what to expect, approximately? I know all chips and setups are different.

What kind of heatsink do you have? 

Start by running a stability test like prime95 and checking your temps to see what kind of headroom you have. If you have headroom, it should be pretty easy to get to 5ghz or close on your CPU. 

Looks like your ram is at 2933mhz instead of 3000mhz. 

Edited by UltraMega

You'll probably have to dig up the old site (overclock.net) for methodology and more samples, but when I had mine, it took about 1.376v to reach 5GHz stable.  And mine was water-cooled, so either I got a dud or they didn't clock very far beyond that.

Just watch out for AVX stress tests that will give unrealistic temperatures and hamper your work.

Interesting. I'll slog through the now insanely slow OCN. I'll post results here. Might as well make it more than a "Help me re-learn this" post and contribute some actual content. 

2 minutes ago, Calyso said:

Interesting. I'll slog through the now insanely slow OCN. I'll post results here. Might as well make it more than a "Help me re-learn this" post and contribute some actual content. 

IMO there's no real need to look up anything. Just check your temps and go from there. Try setting the multiplier to 50 and vcore to 1.4 and then just lower the voltage until it's no longer stable.