*Coming November/December* Signature Rigs & Content Embed Wizard (Google Docs,Soundcloud,Spotify & More) ×
*Coming December* EHW Marketplace ×

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.

13 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

...noticed that a 6800 XT (w/ 5950X, both on LN2) took 1st place at Firestrike / Hwbot. While Firestrike is lower rez, still a big achievement, especially when considering the margin over 3090 (also LN2).

HWBot is not office 'productivity software', but still...the basic design of RDNA2 seems to have a lot of headroom (at lower rez, at least).

Firestrike6800XT.thumb.jpg.6f24c5c17fef876da47aa3f1b24406a5.jpg

That is good to see ! Im really looking forward to the 6900XT to see what it brings to the table, while memory bandwidth is a big factor, I want to see how it does at 4K compared to the 6800XT

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

...interesting, including re. 4K     

Also very interested in third party reviews, though I am also curious about exactly how much of a difference Rage and SAM make, so hopefully some reviewers will go to that level of detail and provide

While the performance speaks for itself, we need to be realistic and acknowledge that the NVIDIA eco system is used by everyone. CUDA and NVENC are just a few that are de facto today. AMD as always ha

Posted Images

9 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

That is good to see ! Im really looking forward to the 6900XT to see what it brings to the table, while memory bandwidth is a big factor, I want to see how it does at 4K compared to the 6800XT

...the same chap now posted 'Firestrike Extreme' today with his 6800XT...also 1st place at HWBot, but with a reduced margin over 3090 (both on LN2). I guess 'Firestrike Ultra' (4K) might be telling if/when he runs/posts that...

firestrikeextreme6800XT.thumb.jpg.de30b91f0cd23e82d30fbac080408a51.jpg

2 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

...the same chap now posted 'Firestrike Extreme' today with his 6800XT...also 1st place at HWBot, but with a reduced margin over 3090 (both on LN2). I guess 'Firestrike Ultra' (4K) might be telling if/when he runs/posts that...

firestrikeextreme6800XT.thumb.jpg.de30b91f0cd23e82d30fbac080408a51.jpg

Fingers crossed, would be great to see. Though all in all, not long to wait until launch day reviews.

On 11/20/2020 at 5:59 PM, tictoc said:

If gaming (or a number of other workloads) is the #1 priority, then an NVIDIA GPU is really the only option that makes sense.  In addition to the outright stellar performance, the ecosystem has many more bells and whistles than the bare-bones offerings from AMD. ¢¢

This is why I think the Radeon cards are overpriced relative to their GeForce competition (though I think those are overpriced too, but for different reasons and that's another discussion). 

There's a lot of Nvidia features I will never use or care about, but...total package comparison between the two definitely shows some weaknesses of the software side of Radeon as well as some other features if you care about them and that makes the price of the Radeon cards less attractive. 6800 XT should have been $599 maximum.

Honestly am very on the fence again. Cyberpunk is really the next game I am waiting for and with recent news may be forcing me back towards grabbing a 3080 or theoretical future 3080 Ti (though that one will depend on pricing).

Edited by Sir Beregond
On 11/20/2020 at 3:39 AM, Mistio said:

1. BSODs galore when performing their reviews

Good info, but I'm going to need a source on this point.

EDIT: Didn't mean to double-post. Think I messed up trying to double quote.

Edited by Sir Beregond
On 11/21/2020 at 2:48 PM, W95CIH said:

While some of your post is accurate, some sounds suspect.

Can you provide links or proof about BSODs? Ive not seen anything about that. (are you talking about big navi, or some old usless previous gpu review?)

Hey, 

Sorry the notification system here is not my best friend. 
Apologies did not see your post. 

I checked a few of the videos now on youtube and they seem to be offline. 

What I found any remnant of BSODS was the one form Jay2cents where he says he is not very happy with the AMD software because when he overlocks he gets a lot of BSODS. Or was it Steve from GN? I looked through all the videos I saw this past week and my head is a jumbled mess. 

On 11/22/2020 at 5:00 PM, ENTERPRISE said:

Fingers crossed, would be great to see. Though all in all, not long to wait until launch day reviews.

...as somewhat expected, Firestrike Ultra (4K) showed a slightly different result (4th overall) by the same competitor with the 6800 XT...still an incredible result at 2800 MHz, though. But somewhere between 1440 and 4K, the relatively narrow 256 bit memory bus starts to play a role for the Radeon 6K. For anything less than 4K, the Radeon 6K seems to be a very interesting choice.

Also, the 6900 XT results are getting closer...should be interesting !

firesstrikeUltra_6800XT.thumb.jpg.1a0f98f94d0f268621d25fa46fba5c48.jpg

Below 4K it is certainly rocking away. Memory bandwidth will be a limiting factor for 4K as we know but would like to see if SAM maturity will help with this. The 6900XT is still going to be a promising high end contender, but hoping SAM pulls it off and we dont end up with an "AMD done goofed" moment when it comes to 4K.

I think I am over it now. AIB models for 6800 XT released with $800 MSRPs. All 17 of them worldwide. What a joke. Between availability and actual pricing, I have no excitement left for this new gen and building a new rig next year to replace this one.

Yeah will check back in March and maybe availability will be better. Not counting on pricing being any better. I guess at this stage just not holding my breath.

Edited by Sir Beregond
On 11/25/2020 at 4:37 PM, Sir Beregond said:

I think I am over it now. AIB models for 6800 XT released with $800 MSRPs. All 17 of them worldwide. What a joke. Between availability and actual pricing, I have no excitement left for this new gen and building a new rig next year to replace this one.

Yeah will check back in March and maybe availability will be better. Not counting on pricing being any better. I guess at this stage just not holding my breath.

Underwhelming and disappointing on availability and pricing. What a waste of an opportunity to win the hearts and minds of consumers

On 11/27/2020 at 12:16 AM, Darkpriest667 said:

Underwhelming and disappointing on availability and pricing. What a waste of an opportunity to win the hearts and minds of consumers

Performance wise and priced at MSRP they look really good, would love an AIB 6800XT which should cost a bit less then a 3080 AIB and overclock the life out of it.

Definitely underwhelming and disappointing on availability and how they been priced way over MSRP. 

Here in EU a 6800XT AIB will cost 100 to 150,- euro more then a AIB 3080, if you can even get one :( 
For that kinda money i would rather have a 3080 but its not like you can actually get those either.

On 11/25/2020 at 10:37 PM, Sir Beregond said:

The stock levels were a joke. I did not have the funds anyway but I did watch them sell out instantly. Looking at all the reviews thus far, for gaming they are impressive (6800XT) the ray tracing was never going to be uber as its first gen for AMD. I think the star of the show will be the 6900XT in price vs performance in comparison to the Nvidia 3090. Still expensive at approx $999 but if you are looking at matching a 3090 and not too fussed by RT then the 6900/6800XT is a good deal.

Other than that, it was a silly launch and we need more AIB cards out.

Since it is all academic anyhow (re. general availability), I am waiting to see what the 6900 XT can do vs. the RTX 3090. Like others here, I suspect the 6900 XT will be a monster on apps that don't use RTX, and I also still wonder about VRAM bandwidth at 4K (even with Infinity Cache).

As to Radeon 6K alleviating excess demand for RTX 3K, they both seem to be in tight supply (foundries' bookings ? / yields ?) and both facing an unexpected extra demand, courtesy of Covid-19...a lot of folks working from home, Zooming and doing other modern office-type functions realized that their 'ancient' desktop that worked fine for email and browsing wasn't up to do much more on productivity and gaming. Perhaps they finally appreciate all the upgrades their IT dep't had done over the years at their (formerly) regular work place 😁 

Other folks who appreciate shiny new GPUs are apparently coin miners, allegedly doing bulk deals with NVidia directly on big chunks of RTX 3K output...

AmpereEtherium.thumb.jpg.0788e66e39dfef7175b973bc72eb0a30.jpg

Edited by J7SC_Orion