Jump to content

Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.

New phone time.


ENTERPRISE
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hey all.

 

So I have been running a Huawei P10 Plus for the last few years. Served me well but might be time for an upgrade. Currently looking at the One Plus Nord as a decent contender, great specs for the money. The 256Gb/12Gb Ram version can be had for a little over £350.

 

Happy to hear if anyone has any other recommendations.

 

Cheers, 

E

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Hey all.

 

So I have been running a Huawei P10 Plus for the last few years. Served me well but might be time for an upgrade. Currently looking at the One Plus Nord as a decent contender, great specs for the money. The 256Gb/12Gb Ram version can be had for a little over £350.

 

Happy to hear if anyone has any other recommendations.

 

Cheers, 

E

   

The One Plus Nord isn't even available over here yet (only beta sign-up, per below). Since I don't like Apple ('it's [marketing bumf] magic' ?), I'd look at a mid-range Samsung Galaxy 5G, but I'm anything but an expert on mobile phones.

  

oneplusnordbeta.thumb.jpg.03dffed6c91e90599ef91a577c5964d1.jpg

  

...also, if you like things called 'Nord' with great specs for the money, how about this 142 meter mega yacht; just finishing sea trials...it has all kinds of mobile communication built in at no extra charge !

    

large-e50b10be0af5c37a70ffe413de569269.j

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, J7SC_Orion said:

   

The One Plus Nord isn't even available over here yet (only beta sign-up, per below). Since I don't like Apple ('it's [marketing bumf] magic' ?), I'd look at a mid-range Samsung Galaxy 5G, but I'm anything but an expert on mobile phones.

  

oneplusnordbeta.thumb.jpg.03dffed6c91e90599ef91a577c5964d1.jpg

  

...also, if you like things called 'Nord' with great specs for the money, how about this 142 meter mega yacht; just finishing sea trials...it has all kinds of mobile communication built in at no extra charge !

    

large-e50b10be0af5c37a70ffe413de569269.j

 

Oh really ? Surprising it is not released there yet. Yeah not looking to spend much, not as much as usual as I don't need a mega phone, just something to last a few years. 

 

Oh...but not worth it if I don't get the helicopter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did check out the Pixel range but didn't fine the spec to price ratio that enticing. I did however find the Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro 5G which is a little more expensive, but for the price is an impressive spec https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_10t_pro_5g-ampp-10437.php

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

I did check out the Pixel range but didn't fine the spec to price ratio that enticing. I did however find the Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro 5G which is a little more expensive, but for the price is an impressive spec https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_10t_pro_5g-ampp-10437.php

 

have you already looked into the Xiaomi Poco X3 NFC? I just found out about it today, half the price of the Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro ($230) but 2GB RAM less RAM. it looks skeptically good for the price. 

 

https://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=10415&idPhone3=10437&idPhone2=10385

 

Edited by The Pook
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/19/2020 at 3:27 PM, ENTERPRISE said:

I did check out the Pixel range but didn't fine the spec to price ratio that enticing. I did however find the Xiaomi Mi 10T Pro 5G which is a little more expensive, but for the price is an impressive spec https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_10t_pro_5g-ampp-10437.php

 

I've had Pixels and Samsungs simultaneously the last few years, since I have a personal and company issued phone. While the Pixels don't spec out as well in terms of hardware, if you are in the Google ecosystem, there is nothing like it in terms of experience. It's just so incredibly well integrated and convenient. And, yeah, the camera lives up to the hype. As for as the hardware, it isn't that far off that it's even noticeable in real world usage, unless your real world usage is based on running Geekbenck 24/7. I couldn't imagine using anything else at this point. I'm probably going to grab a Pixel 5 on black Friday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/22/2020 at 6:54 PM, ciarlatano said:

 

I've had Pixels and Samsungs simultaneously the last few years, since I have a personal and company issued phone. While the Pixels don't spec out as well in terms of hardware, if you are in the Google ecosystem, there is nothing like it in terms of experience. It's just so incredibly well integrated and convenient. And, yeah, the camera lives up to the hype. As for as the hardware, it isn't that far off that it's even noticeable in real world usage, unless your real world usage is based on running Geekbenck 24/7. I couldn't imagine using anything else at this point. I'm probably going to grab a Pixel 5 on black Friday.

I have never seen the pull to the Pixel, The Google eco system is great but unless I am missing something, this can be replicated on other devices which I have done thus far. The nice thing however like some other brands, it likely does not have any bloatware.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I imagine you already got a new phone, but if not, here's another vote for a Pixel. 

 

I just picked up a Pixel 4a for $350 US.  I have zero interest in the Google ecosystem, but it's the closest to pure android and super easy to run an alternate OS on. The camera is excellent, and overall I would say this is my favorite phone since I retired my Lumia 1020.  Even though I have fairly large hands, giant phones drive me nuts.  It's nice to have a compact device again, even if we'll never see a proper aspect ratio on a phone again. 15:9 ftw :classic_cool:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Actually have not pulled the trigger yet. Lots to consider and not in a huge rush. I will have to give the Pixel more of a consideration I think, I was also looking at the Oppo Find X2 then decided to wait as the new Snapdragon 888 chipset is due to come out for the Oppo Find X3 BUT obviously these phones are more expensive and in a different league from the Pixel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, ENTERPRISE said:

Actually have not pulled the trigger yet. Lots to consider and not in a huge rush. I will have to give the Pixel more of a consideration I think, I was also looking at the Oppo Find X2 then decided to wait as the new Snapdragon 888 chipset is due to come out for the Oppo Find X3 BUT obviously these phones are more expensive and in a different league from the Pixel.

If you want the cleanest OS, Nokia has pure android phones. 

 

A few months ago I got a new phone and after hour and hours of comparing specs I decided on the redmi note 9s. Has all the right specs for the price.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/8/2020 at 10:05 PM, tictoc said:

I imagine you already got a new phone, but if not, here's another vote for a Pixel. 

 

I just picked up a Pixel 4a for $350 US.  I have zero interest in the Google ecosystem, but it's the closest to pure android and super easy to run an alternate OS on. The camera is excellent, and overall I would say this is my favorite phone since I retired my Lumia 1020.  Even though I have fairly large hands, giant phones drive me nuts.  It's nice to have a compact device again, even if we'll never see a proper aspect ratio on a phone again. 15:9 ftw :classic_cool:

 

My wife got the 4a on release to replace her 2. Once she got used to the gestures, she absolutely loves it. The Pixel camera really is fantastic. Yes, the hardware end is getting long in the tooth, but the software and processing side of it is still steps ahead of the competition in my eyes. And even if you are not in the Google ecosystem, the way the OS is done is just beautifully intuitive.

 

That said, I want to point out that I'm in the US, and on Verizon, so I haven't been able to play with the One Plus/Redmi/Xiaomi/etc phones that seem to have so much more going for them than US offerings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Andrew said:

iPhone ?

 

For real, a Pixel 4a might be good. Not sure how much the Pixel 5 is.

Get out lol.

 

The Pixel 5 is £599...which is the rub as for the same money I can get an Oppo Find X2 or similar which from a hardware point of view is fairly superior. However I have read some great things about the Pixel optimisation. Guess im a sucker for getting the best hardware one can afford.... that's what happens when you are a part of the PCMR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5g overated ? 

4gb/lte is over 300mbps when the network doesnt suck. Just switched from roger back to telus because their network is crap and i was getting 2mbp with full signal...

 

I just ordered a Samsung M51 to replace my Huawei P20 Mate Pro.

 

 

7000 MAH battery 8gb ram 128gb storage.

 

Weak Cpu but it alright all for 550$ canadian.

 

Only reason i upgraded is for the battery the p20 was best phone i ever had.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/18/2020 at 5:23 AM, bonami2 said:

5g overated ? 

4gb/lte is over 300mbps when the network doesnt suck. Just switched from roger back to telus because their network is crap and i was getting 2mbp with full signal...

 

I just ordered a Samsung M51 to replace my Huawei P20 Mate Pro.

 

 

7000 MAH battery 8gb ram 128gb storage.

 

Weak Cpu but it alright all for 550$ canadian.

 

Only reason i upgraded is for the battery the p20 was best phone i ever had.

That is not actually a bad contender. Im coming from the Huawei P10 Pro, so not a bad upgrade path.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/20/2020 at 4:16 AM, bonami2 said:

Two days battery life :D

 

Waiting to get mine underways texas to canada 

 

Thanks for letting me know. :) 

19 hours ago, Andrew said:

Battery life really depends on the usage. I get 2-3 days out of my iPhone 12, a lot of other people are getting just under a full day.

 

Yeah battery life is subjective. I use my phone a good bit I reckon, I will run it down in a day, though it is also 3+ years old so I will see wear on tear on the battery as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

This Website may place and access certain Cookies on your computer. ExtremeHW uses Cookies to improve your experience of using the Website and to improve our range of products and services. ExtremeHW has carefully chosen these Cookies and has taken steps to ensure that your privacy is protected and respected at all times. All Cookies used by this Website are used in accordance with current UK and EU Cookie Law. For more information please see our Privacy Policy