Welcome to ExtremeHW

Welcome to ExtremeHW, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of ExtremeHW by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Take advantage of site exclusive features.

the pfense club

cscoder4ever

?

just poking fun, I'd run it in a VM before bothering with dedicated hardware at all though.

I ran pfSense that way on my NUC for a bit but my needs are too ... consumer? ... and I scrapped it.

I know bud its all good :cool:.

Running it in VM is a good idea, I love VM but didn't think of it for pfense.

EHW Content Creator

The big take away is flexibility. pfSense is completely opensource, and has a lot of community add-on packages. These range from proxies, DNS, VPN server, multi-VLAN routing, boundary ad blocking, or whatever else you want to throw at it. Plus, it's fun to actually build out a router with your own hardware, or repurpose old hardware that you have stashed in the closet.

The big take away is flexibility. pfSense is completely opensource, and has a lot of community add-on packages. These range from proxies, DNS, VPN server, multi-VLAN routing, boundary ad blocking, or whatever else you want to throw at it. Plus, it's fun to actually build out a router with your own hardware, or repurpose old hardware that you have stashed in the closet.

For me the best thing about it is the Ad/script blocking that you can do with it from what I hear (have not played with it) but I have had custom firmware (AsusMerlin) on my Asus router at one point which allowed for some serious ad/script blocking which was fantastic as it was all blocked before it even got to your PC. VPN Server is also a massive bonus. In the future I will get a small PC to do this on and mess about with it.

EHW Content Creator
For me the best thing about it is the Ad/script blocking that you can do with it from what I hear (have not played with it) but I have had custom firmware (AsusMerlin) on my Asus router at one point which allowed for some serious ad/script blocking which was fantastic as it was all blocked before it even got to your PC. VPN Server is also a massive bonus. In the future I will get a small PC to do this on and mess about with it.

Agreed with that. Personally I don't use the boundary ad blocking, but I have read mix results with it. Either, being extremely simple to setup and "it just works", to "this is so customizable, oh god someone please turn off the fire hose this is too mu-".

For me, the I use the OpenVPN server. At my old place, my folks were paying for comcast cable, and my brother would use the VPN connection to watch the "In-home" streaming service while at college. Also, it works great for remove management, especially when TeamViewer decides you are using the free service for a commercial use case, but they don't factor in the fact that one person really does own that many computers lol. (If you connect via local IP rather than public ID, TeamViewer doesn't complain).

The Multi-Vlan support would have been easier if I didn't decided to do a dot1q trunk to my switch, but whatever lol.

• 1 year later...

I was avoiding this "club" because I'm OPNsense, but since you stated we're welcome here too...... 🤣

Specs of my firewall:

CPU: i5 4490

mobo: Some B85 mATX board, Asus I think

RAM: G.Skill 8GB ripjaws DDR3 1600

OS drive: 2x WD Green 120GB SSD's RAID1

PSU: Seasonic 350w

NIC: Quad Intel Giga-nic, X350 I think was the model?

Case: 1u Rack (currently in an old Dell beige box though)
Extra:  Adaptec 5808z RAID card (because no onboard RAID)

I use it because I have a "server" setup already for file serving, various VM boxes, game serving, lots of things.  Got a VPN going on one of the LAN's, and have my whole house basically going through wifi through the VPN now.  Having some issues with ports (made a thread on that).  Once I figure out how to get things to go through that I want to go through, I'll be very happy with the setup.

Observations?  Yeah, its a royal PITA to setup.  I've always used consumer grade routers before and was happy with my Netgear R7000 that I've had for years and years.  I decided to try PFsense (and then OPNsense) because I wanted more control over the VPN and the networks.  Only reason I'm not using PFsense is because I could NOT get the VPN to work at all on PFsense, but it works fine on OPNsense.  Just wish I'd have thought that through a little better, because now nothing works right lol.  Eventually, and I'm sure this is possible, but waaaay out of my skillset levels, I'd like to setup a second VPN to have LAN access to my buddy's house across the state.  That + VPN internet + security was my reasonings for making the switch.

18 hours ago, pioneerisloud said:

I was avoiding this "club" because I'm OPNsense, but since you stated we're welcome here too...... 🤣

Specs of my firewall:

CPU: i5 4490

mobo: Some B85 mATX board, Asus I think

RAM: G.Skill 8GB ripjaws DDR3 1600

OS drive: 2x WD Green 120GB SSD's RAID1

PSU: Seasonic 350w

NIC: Quad Intel Giga-nic, X350 I think was the model?

Case: 1u Rack (currently in an old Dell beige box though)
Extra:  Adaptec 5808z RAID card (because no onboard RAID)

I use it because I have a "server" setup already for file serving, various VM boxes, game serving, lots of things.  Got a VPN going on one of the LAN's, and have my whole house basically going through wifi through the VPN now.  Having some issues with ports (made a thread on that).  Once I figure out how to get things to go through that I want to go through, I'll be very happy with the setup.

Observations?  Yeah, its a royal PITA to setup.  I've always used consumer grade routers before and was happy with my Netgear R7000 that I've had for years and years.  I decided to try PFsense (and then OPNsense) because I wanted more control over the VPN and the networks.  Only reason I'm not using PFsense is because I could NOT get the VPN to work at all on PFsense, but it works fine on OPNsense.  Just wish I'd have thought that through a little better, because now nothing works right lol.  Eventually, and I'm sure this is possible, but waaaay out of my skillset levels, I'd like to setup a second VPN to have LAN access to my buddy's house across the state.  That + VPN internet + security was my reasonings for making the switch.

I plan on switching from pfsense to opnsense.   My pfsense works great, but it's no longer 100% opensource so it's getting the axe.

• 2 weeks later...

Might be joining the opnsense side of the club. 

I had been using Ubiquiti gear for the last 8 years, but my last EdgeRouter ERLite-3 just died and it could not be resuscitated with a new USB drive.  Thinking about repurposing some soon to be retired hardware, and doing a fun 1U 3200G build, running opnsense, to put in my network rack. 

Edited by tictoc